Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jun 14, 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    6
    Several, hopefully easy, beginner questions :)
    First, let me begin with saying that I am strongly considering purchasing a new Macbook Pro. Up until now I've been a PC (Linux/Windows) user, but given the recent price cuts (and some curiosity), I'm thinking now is the best time to give one of these notebooks a shot.

    Question 1) From what I understand, the past 13inch Macbook vs the 15inch Macbook Pro used different displays (the 15 inch being superior). Since Apple has upgraded the 13inch to be a "Pro", does that mean it also receives the superior display?

    Question 2) Is the apple care plan really worth the money? I don't foresee myself calling for "support" unless some hardware issue exists. From what I can tell the plan only offers extended support and warranty (of which is for defective hardware).

    Question 3) Does opening the Macbook and installing new memory/HDD void the warranty? Looking at the pricing it appears as though I could easily get the 2.26 model (with 2/160) and upgrade it (to 4/250 or 320) for cheaper as I'm not really worried about the slight processor speed difference.

    Question 4) Since Snow Leopard will be released in the upcoming months (and is only a $30 upgrade) I will most definitely be picking it up. The question I have is if at some point I want to format and install after upgrading, will I need to install Leopard first and then upgrade again? Reason I ask is because if so, I may just wait until Snow Leopard's release since it will be on there by default.

    Question 5) Is there any additional information you'd like to add that you feel I could benefit from?

    Thank you for all your help!

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,837
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by CryptAck View Post
    First, let me begin with saying that I am strongly considering purchasing a new Macbook Pro. Up until now I've been a PC (Linux/Windows) user, but given the recent price cuts (and some curiosity), I'm thinking now is the best time to give one of these notebooks a shot.

    Question 1) From what I understand, the past 13inch Macbook vs the 15inch Macbook Pro used different displays (the 15 inch being superior). Since Apple has upgraded the 13inch to be a "Pro", does that mean it also receives the superior display?
    The plastic model MacBooks had an inferior screen. The Aluminum models have always been comparable with the Pro line.

    Question 2) Is the apple care plan really worth the money? I don't foresee myself calling for "support" unless some hardware issue exists. From what I can tell the plan only offers extended support and warranty (of which is for defective hardware).
    It depends. I felt the same way, but judging how expensive the parts are for these things, if you intent to keep it for a full three years, I think it's worth it for the peace of mind.

    Question 3) Does opening the Macbook and installing new memory/HDD void the warranty? Looking at the pricing it appears as though I could easily get the 2.26 model (with 2/160) and upgrade it (to 4/250 or 320) for cheaper as I'm not really worried about the slight processor speed difference.
    Both memory and HDD are considered user-upgradeable, despite the lack of a compartment door.

    Question 4) Since Snow Leopard will be released in the upcoming months (and is only a $30 upgrade) I will most definitely be picking it up. The question I have is if at some point I want to format and install after upgrading, will I need to install Leopard first and then upgrade again? Reason I ask is because if so, I may just wait until Snow Leopard's release since it will be on there by default.
    Hard to say, Apple has not been forthcoming with the installation details.

    Regardless, most UNIX-based operating systems rarely need a reinstall. This is a bad habit that many of us carry over from the Windows world.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    Helllo and welcome to the forums!

    Question 3) I'm not sure, but I think so.
    Question 4) Leopard will ship with any new computer that you buy from Apple right now. That's why you're eligible for the $30 upgrade price. If you were on Tiger I think it costs more.
    Question 5) Well, there are some basic differences between Windows Machines and Macs. I won't talk about that here, but I'll try and find you some FAQ's or Stickies from somewhere.
    Chris K.

  4. #4

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    Chris K.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jun 14, 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    6
    Thank you both for your quick replies.

    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    The plastic model MacBooks had an inferior screen. The Aluminum models have always been comparable with the Pro line.
    Ahh, makes sense. I was a bit confused on this before!

    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    It depends. I felt the same way, but judging how expensive the parts are for these things, if you intent to keep it for a full three years, I think it's worth it for the peace of mind.
    My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to confirm

    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Both memory and HDD are considered user-upgradeable, despite the lack of a compartment door.
    I assume, even with the lack of a compartment door, they are fairly easy to upgrade? I've pieced together several PC systems, don't have much experience with notebooks however.

    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Hard to say, Apple has not been forthcoming with the installation details.
    Okay, I may wait it out for a while then...

    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Regardless, most UNIX-based operating systems rarely need a reinstall. This is a bad habit that many of us carry over from the Windows world.
    Ohh, I know. I wanted to know not only for system restoration purposes but also for upgrade purposes later.

    Quote Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
    Helllo and welcome to the forums!

    Question 3) I'm not sure, but I think so.
    Question 4) Leopard will ship with any new computer that you buy from Apple right now. That's why you're eligible for the $30 upgrade price. If you were on Tiger I think it costs more.
    Question 5) Well, there are some basic differences between Windows Machines and Macs. I won't talk about that here, but I'll try and find you some FAQ's or Stickies from somewhere.
    Thank you. I know quite a few of the basics already (I've toyed around in OS X before), but I'm always looking for more information so anything you can provide will be of help!

    Thanks!

  6. #6

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    Oh, OK. I thought you were a fresh switcher who knew nothing about OS X yet (no offense) we get quite a bit of those. I hope you enjoy your new, secure, virus free and easy to use computer.
    Chris K.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jun 14, 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
    Oh, OK. I thought you were a fresh switcher who knew nothing about OS X yet (no offense) we get quite a bit of those. I hope you enjoy your new, secure, virus free and easy to use computer.
    Not a problem, I found the threads (and article links) to be quite informative! I have bookmarked them and will be sure to forward them over once I get my new mac

  8. #8

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,837
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by CryptAck View Post

    I assume, even with the lack of a compartment door, they are fairly easy to upgrade? I've pieced together several PC systems, don't have much experience with notebooks however.
    It looks like the bottom panel comes off with just a few screws.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  9. #9

    claudius753's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 11, 2005
    Posts
    264
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
    Question #3:
    Yes, the entire bottom comes off with 10 screws. The booklet that comes with the MacBook Pro has a section with instructions of how to take off the bottom, as well as how to upgrade the HD and RAM.

    As for Snow Leopard, every Mac purchased after June 8th, the day of the WWDC keynote, is eligible to upgrade to Snow Leopard for the $9.95 price to cover the cost of the disc and S&H. Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard.. I'm not sure how the upgrade will ensure that you are eligible, but it may be that you would have to install Leopard first, then Snow Leopard if you ever wanted to reinstall the OS.

    Here is a link to the PDF of the manual from Apple's website. Chapter 3 (page 35) "Boost Your MacBook Pro" WARNING: This is to a PDF file so it may open Acrobat Reader on your system.
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...ch_Mid2009.pdf
    Nathan Sweeney

    Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
    Come and help save lives by Folding

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jun 14, 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by claudius753 View Post
    Question #3:
    Yes, the entire bottom comes off with 10 screws. The booklet that comes with the MacBook Pro has a section with instructions of how to take off the bottom, as well as how to upgrade the HD and RAM.

    As for Snow Leopard, every Mac purchased after June 8th, the day of the WWDC keynote, is eligible to upgrade to Snow Leopard for the $9.95 price to cover the cost of the disc and S&H. Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard.. I'm not sure how the upgrade will ensure that you are eligible, but it may be that you would have to install Leopard first, then Snow Leopard if you ever wanted to reinstall the OS.

    Here is a link to the PDF of the manual from Apple's website. Chapter 3 (page 35) "Boost Your MacBook Pro" WARNING: This is to a PDF file so it may open Acrobat Reader on your system.
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...ch_Mid2009.pdf
    Thank you for the info! Doesn't look difficult at all, just have to remember to keep the screws straight (long vs short that is ).

    Even better to hear that it'll only be 10 dollars. That's twenty bucks I can go spend on cold beverages.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. iPad...2 easy questions ?
    By Hipgrncln in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 07:43 AM
  3. First time mac owner, several beginner's questions
    By Birdie in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
  4. 2 Easy Questions
    By postlapsaria in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 07:42 PM
  5. Beginner questions :(
    By Dan Shelley in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •