Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

13" Macbook Pro...2gb RAM or 4gb RAM?
    Hey guys...i need a little help & some good opinions. Im heading to the Apple Store where i live next week to purchase my 1st Mac. But im running into a small dilemma..should i get the 2gb of ram or the 4gb..i also plan on doing the 250gb hard drive. I just didnt know if i would notice a real difference if i got the 2gb..

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Apple charges you 90 dollars for 4GB, you can buy and install it for a lot less and save yourself some cash.

RAM modules found here.

I recommend the first one on the list, Crucial.

With the extra cash that you saved on the RAM you can put that towards the HDD, which are faster than what they offer and have large storage capacities. I recommend these two.

Forgot the how to guide to install the stuff. That can be found here.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13" Unibody
    You will see a slight difference in the 2gb vs the 4gb. I will also say Apple has marked down the first unibody macbooks and they are sweet. I noticed on the apple site on the refurbished units that they have the 15" macbook pro for 1349.00 That is amazing as they were 1999.00 Check it out, Tim

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Apple charges you 90 dollars for 4GB, you can buy and install it for a lot less and save yourself some cash.
    Agreed. Your best bet is to buy the Mac as it comes and upgrade yourself. You will save a considerable amount of money if you do it yourself.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Yep. Buy the MacBook as is and upgrade yourself. You'll save money that you can use elsewhere...

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Kind of disappointing that you can't get the new 13" mbp 2.53 with 2 gb ram and upgrade on your own. From what I'm seeing on the apple store site, it's either 2.26 with 2gb or 2.53 with 4gb. Not cool that you HAVE to pay the Apple prices for ram if you want the faster/better processor.
    Guess you might as well get the base 13" mbp and upgrade memory on your own like everyone else is saying. Lesser of two evils...

Hmm..thanks everybody for your input. I was looking at what you guys said..i should put the money into the HDD, and then personally install new RAM. Thanks again guys!

I think you just go with option upgrade the ram yourself. It is extremely easy, you will be surprised how easy it is. In the end, you can save some money and you got a good experience for it. Cheers and good luck mate.

SG

Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    I would do the RAM And HDD upgrade yourself.
    MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post

RAM modules found here.

I recommend the first one on the list, Crucial.

With the extra cash that you saved on the RAM you can put that towards the HDD, which are faster than what they offer and have large storage capacities. I recommend these two.

Forgot the how to guide to install the stuff. That can be found here.
    Quick question about the RAM. Is there any reason not to get the Muskin over the Crucial? I am only asking because after the rebate the Muskin is about 5 bucks cheaper and looks to have the same specs/warranty.

Specs:
    MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    No - both are respected companies. Enjoy your new RAM!!!

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael415 View Post
    Quick question about the RAM. Is there any reason not to get the Muskin over the Crucial? I am only asking because after the rebate the Muskin is about 5 bucks cheaper and looks to have the same specs/warranty.
    I only recommend things to people that I have experience with first hand. I've haven't used any Muskin ram before, but I know they are a pretty reputable company as well.

mine works fast with 2gb but i notice it's using about 60% of it at least at any given time

Valid question, I am wondering if I will notice any change at all if I just web surf, open a few docs, etc.

Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael415 View Post
    Valid question, I am wondering if I will notice any change at all if I just web surf, open a few docs, etc.
    No. You won't. More RAM would be valid for someone using graphic intensive apps. Those sorts of things could use a lot of cached data in the RAM modules, but not basic web surfing and opening documents. I'd save your money for now. And even if there was a difference (what, a few milliseconds ?) is that really so much of a difference that you should spend money to upgrade ?

IMO, a faster (7200 RPM) and larger (500 gigs)hard drive would be a better upgrade, or even an external HD for that matter. But even that won't make a difference for your needs. JMHO. I recently upgraded my 2008 aluminum MacBook Pro from 2 to 4 gigs (Corsair) and haven't noticed much of anything in terms of a speed increase, to be honest.

I was looking for improvements in speed for Lightroom 2, but unfortunately LR is just a freegin' sloth when it comes to certain tasks. It's poor coding on the devs part, and nothing will change that. Not even 8 gigs of RAM.

Doug

Thread Information