New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I just got my iBook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I just bought my iBook G4 this morning and i do love it, it is faster than i expected and much more... but i still need some software. Does anyone knows a simple image browser (like the one that comes with WinXP) any advice? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

image browser. like are u talking about something like iPhoto. if not im not sure what you are talking about... if i photo is what you are looking for it can be located in ur dock or in you application folder.

Congrats on the purchase.. Do you still have the stock 256megs of ram....?
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

I tried iPhoto but it doesnt work as i need, WinXP image browser allowed me to double-click one image, and use cursor keys to navigate trough all the images of the folder, that simple.
I got a memory upgrade (total 512mb RAM), i guess it helps a lot, but this is my first mac so i kinda feel a bit lost, i have to admit the OS is really friendly and i dont miss the right-click too much. This is indeed a good machine! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
i dont miss the right-click too much. This is indeed a good machine!
You can right-click on your mac:

PRess the ctrl key and click - this will give you a right-click context menu. In some apps you actually NEED a right-click, even on a mac

You can also connect any USB mouse with 2 buttons - it will work just like under windows, i.e. with full 2 mouse functionality...

As for your image browser question:

This is the one thing that windows XP does better than OS X IMO. Maybe check versiontracker.com for image browsers, but I don't know any off the top of my head..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There is Preview. It will view pretty any graphic format and PDFs as well. If you want to view all in a folder, just drop the folder on the Preview icon when it's open in the doc and all the pics in that folder will be there for you to step through. I figured that one out myself one day. Hope that helps.

Like another said, just hold CTRL and click and you will get the Right click menus. Or like was also said, you can use any USB mouse also. If you use a logitech, get the OSX driver and you can assign even 5 buttons if they are there.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

Thanks for the help, i got a little program called ImageBrowser from VersionTracker, it does almost everything i need. And about the "right-click" i have to say that the contextual menus aren't as big as in WinXP, but no complains, im really happy with this OS, after an entire night of copying files im really surprised by the performace of this machine.
Ok, now two more questions....
- Version tracker is a big place to find programs, but wich are the other options?
- how do i change the file associations?
- is Opera a better browser than Safari?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

[QUOTE] Version tracker is a big place to find programs, but wich are the other options?[/QUOTE}
www.macupdate.com
download.com has mac search.
IMO, version tracker is the best...
Quote:
- is Opera a better browser than Safari?P
i have only used this broweser a few times.. SAfari is really good browser but it does lack in some cases..... check out firefox. at vesiont tracker
------
do you have iLife 5... and the new iPhoto... i tried it yet but i ehard it was better...... IMO, iPhoto needs to be totaly re-done. horible program..
---
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

I have iLife '05 but is a bit dissapointing, i really liked iPhoto at the store and i have also a good impression about GarageBand, but at the moment i started to use iPhoto i got dissapointed, it didn't allow me to open a single picture w/o it being in the library, maybe i havent used it enoguh but i have now other software that i consider better for the job.
About the Safari, it is good, but i miss FireFox,i have read in this forum ithappens to be unstable with Mac, so i dont want to try it yet.
Another question i have is about disk space and uninstalling/deleting programs, right now i have 14gb free, but im curious about what else can be deleted without problem, and also how deep programs install them self, at first glance i toguht they were mostly a sinlge file, the files in a directory, but now im not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

in most cases all u have to do is grag the icon to the trach can or you can highlight it and hit command(apple)+delete....Garge band is a really good program.... i have ProTools but i sitll tinker *funny word* round with garage band... and in garage band 2 ( the on that camewith iLife 05) you can record up to 8 independant tracks at the same time....

As for firefox being unstable.. You shouod go ahead and give it a shot.... it is used by alot of ppl.... and i havent had n e problems with it....
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

www.macupdate.com is another Mac download site. Give firefox a try, its a good program. I'm using Shiira at the moment which I like the most at the moment but then I tend to switch a lot, Just try them all out and see for yourself.

As for deleting programs, it is possible that extra files are left behind in your library folder. They don't usually take up much space but if you would like to get rid of them as well then type the name of the program in the search field of a finder window and delete the appropriate files that come up. Be careful not to delete anything important, their will no doubt be a plist file in their, these are the preference files in OSX.

It's also possible to do what you have said with winxp image browser by clicking on one image and then using the curser keys to go through the rest with iPhoto. If you are still interested in the program then you should have another look at it as the functions are their.

As for the right click on the mouse, it maybe worth the effort to start using the keyboard more as keyboard shortcuts are also very handy to learn and use. If you would like more functionality in the contextual menu then their are more than a few add ons, most of them free which can be downloaded.

Glad to hear that your enjoying your new Mac so much!!!! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

After a bit of review i have decided to give iPhoto another chance, and also keep using Safari. I still have a lot to learn about this OS but is funny to see how many of the improves that Longhorn is suposed to have for the GUI are actually present and WORKING in Mac X.
Something that caught my atention was that after connect a SD card using a USB multi-card reader the system cosider it as digital camera (the SD actually came from my camera and had only .jpg's on it) can someone explain me why?
Another question is about the battery life, as i understand it is suposed to last up to 6 hours, but after a fully charge it says that i have 3 hours (Energy Saver set to maximize battery life using the Airport card), am i doing somehting wrong or does the Airport system uses so much energy?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

from what I know, the screen brightness and the airport card does have an affect on the battery. I have my screen brightness set to about half and I turn off the airport card when I am not using it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
amartins02

Sigh, still trying to get my iBook. Soon people, soon.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

Have you checked the offers at the Sale section of the Apple Store?
QUOTE Thanks
amartins02

Yea. But I just sold my Toshiba tablet on ebay for 920.00. Waiting for the payment. He has good feedback so I am hoping he is away or something. Oh boy I hope this goes through.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how much do pb's hold their value? | Powerbook lid question »