New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - If I buy a Macbook Pro now will I get snow leopard for free?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwball

jwball is on a distinguished road

As per the title really.
Just wondered.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwball View Post
As per the title really.
Just wondered.

Thanks
No. It will cost $29 because you will have Leopard.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Wait 3 months when the MBPs have it pre installed if you want it free. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

There's a date, I forget what exactly, where if you buy a Mac after that date, the upgrade price is only $10. So to actually answer your question, no, there is no way for you to get it for free prior to its release. Crimson's post is spot on if you don't want to pay for Snow Leopard.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, if you want SL for free just get it in September. I still wish I knew the exact day it will be released because I need a new one for school and school starts on Sept. 7th. I hope it comes out the same time or closely after the new iPod announcement because I'd hate to get my Macbook past the day school starts. I guess I'll have to upgrade to SL for $29. I still don't know how they'll know if you have Leopard on your computer or not.
QUOTE Thanks
jpics

jpics is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53

Get you MBP now you wont regret it

15" MacBook Pro Aluminum, 2.53G / iPhone 3G 16G Black/TimeCapsule 1TB back up and media server/Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
Whoever said that money cant buy happiness hasnt been to an Apple store 
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
There's a date, I forget what exactly, where if you buy a Mac after that date, the upgrade price is only $10. So to actually answer your question, no, there is no way for you to get it for free prior to its release. Crimson's post is spot on if you don't want to pay for Snow Leopard.
According to Apple, if you buy it after June 8 (so, anytime now), you can get the $10 upgrade. Apparently, there is extra info about this going up on the 16th.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_Mav

Chris_Mav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4ghz C2D, 3GB Ram & Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2Gb Ram

If you have the money for a new mac surely you can spare 30 dollars for snow leopard when its out
QUOTE Thanks
jpics

jpics is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53

for the lazy

Quote:
Mac OS X Snow Leopard refines the elegant Mac OS X user experience with lots of little touches and performance improvements that will make using your Mac even more enjoyable. It also includes a few big foundation technologies designed to tap the power of today’s computer hardware and provide a strong base for innovation. If you purchased a qualifying system or Xserve on or after June 8, 2009 that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard for $9.95.*

Please check back on June 16, 2009, for additional information.

* Covers product plus shipping and handling fee. U.S. customers add appropriate sales tax.

15" MacBook Pro Aluminum, 2.53G / iPhone 3G 16G Black/TimeCapsule 1TB back up and media server/Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
Whoever said that money cant buy happiness hasnt been to an Apple store 
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpics View Post
for the lazy
I swear I've seen that posted somewhere in this thread before... .

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

Its just under £8 here in the Uk if you bought a Mac after June 6th.

Will they be supplying the disks at the Apple stores or will it be on online thing?
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

So lemme get this straight:

Buy a Mac after June 8th = SL $9.95
Bought a Mac since Leopard came out = SL $29 and SL Fammie Pack $49
Others with Macs before Leopard = SL $129
Buy a Mac when SL is out = SL $0

The last option is the most economical though but I'll watch the buzz around August to see when people think SL will be out.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

If you buy any mac computers on, or after the 2009 WWDC event, you will have to pay 10 or less dollars for it. For some reason, the mac people were not sure if it was free or 10 dollars...either way, it's less than 2 burgers at burger king!
QUOTE Thanks
detpenguin

detpenguin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB

i bought my MBP on June 10th, so i get SL for 10 bucks? sweet
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

You will get it for $9.95, if you purchased you Mac after June 8th, I think. Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Minidvi to HDMI Problems | 2ghz core 2 duo not booting »