New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook vs. MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kznefkt

kznefkt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X Lion

Hey,

So it looks like I bought my MacBook right at the cusp of Apple's decision to upgrade the MacBook Pro line and make the base model cheaper than my MacBook! lol

What I was wondering was, do you guys think it would be worth selling my MacBook (2.4 GHZ model) and getting the 13" MacBook Pro? Here are the differences I've picked up, I might have missed a few if you could fill me in.

MacBookPro Pros:

- Better battery life
- SD slot
- FireWire
- Better graphics card? (Can't remember off top of head)

MacBook Pros:

- Bigger HDD
- Slightly faster processor

I reckon I could sell my MacBook and get the new MacBook pro without losing much, if anything at all (Picked up my MacBook $500 cheaper) So do you think it's worth the hassle?

cheers fellas

kznefkt
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznefkt View Post
Hey,

So it looks like I bought my MacBook right at the cusp of Apple's decision to upgrade the MacBook Pro line and make the base model cheaper than my MacBook! lol

What I was wondering was, do you guys think it would be worth selling my MacBook (2.4 GHZ model) and getting the 13" MacBook Pro? Here are the differences I've picked up, I might have missed a few if you could fill me in.

MacBookPro Pros:

- Better battery life
- SD slot
- FireWire
- Better graphics card? (Can't remember off top of head)

MacBook Pros:

- Bigger HDD
- Slightly faster processor

I reckon I could sell my MacBook and get the new MacBook pro without losing much, if anything at all (Picked up my MacBook $500 cheaper) So do you think it's worth the hassle?

cheers fellas

kznefkt
Glass track pad, brighter LED screen, and illuminated keyboard.

Did your Mac die and stop doing what it's suppose to do just because a newer model is out?

I think that's the important question you need to ask yourself. If you need to be on the cutting edge of technology all the time go for it. You are just kidding yourself in the end though.
QUOTE Thanks
kznefkt

this MacBook has the glass trackpad and illuminated keyboard, but yeah in all instances I would agree with you, but since the new MacBookPro's only just came out at such a cheap price and I'm able to basically replace my MacBook with one at no extra cost, why wouldn't I?

So basically I just want to know if the baseline pro model, is really worth the swap though?
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Do you need an audio input and output at the same time? Because you can't do that with the new 13" pros!!
QUOTE Thanks
kznefkt

I wouldn't think I need that, I only ever use the audio input for my external speakers.
QUOTE Thanks
jpics

jpics is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53

I sold my MacBook 13" 2.4 hours after the keynote. I got $1200 for it before the word of lower prices hit the press. so upgrading to a 15" Pro only cost me $400

15" MacBook Pro Aluminum, 2.53G / iPhone 3G 16G Black/TimeCapsule 1TB back up and media server/Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
Whoever said that money cant buy happiness hasnt been to an Apple store 
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

i''m going to go with the larger PRO's. I have owned all the new unibodies within the last couple of months, the 15 is the perfect one!
QUOTE Thanks
macusertim48

macusertim48 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" Unibody

The new macbook pro is nice. I just bought the 13" and coming from the unibody 15" pro this works as well if not better. Its all about preference and what you will use it for.
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

I have to admit that the battery life on the new unis is impressing me. Yeah, I just got the computer today, but over an hour and a half, and still indicating 4:45 remaining (76%).

This is my first Mac notebook, but I know my HP that I am getting rid of after 6 months would have been down below 50% by now.

So if battery life is a major factor, then the new unis are worth it, especially if it will cost no extra.

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

My biggest thing is battery, is it really that much better? I can get the 2.4ghz macbook from the outlet for $1099, and am trying to decide which is the best route. On the new pro I will never use the firewire port, or the SD card slot. Anything I need those for I do on my iMac. Is there any other major difference??

Typically how long does the battery last on the 2.4ghz macbook with the illuminated keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

I bought a MacBook and realized that I should have just got the MBP.

I have arranged for my MB to be collected on the 14 day money back offer that Apple do - and have just come home with a brand spanking new MBP!

They are in a different league!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't remove battery on MacBook Black. | G3 Combo drive question. »