New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - ibook will not start after software update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Strangerover

Strangerover is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 133Ghz 512mb dvd/rw, 15" Powerbook G4

I've just done a software update on my ibook G4, a security and itunes update. It required my ibook to be restarted, which I did but now all that comes up is the white apple starting page with the 'wait' clock ticking, doesn't go any further. I've tried the 'Apple hardware test' disc in my software and that says all is good. Anyone got any ideas where to go next I'd appreciate it. I've had no previous problems with this ibook whatsoever.

I was going to do an update on the powerbook but no way at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Run disc utility from your install disc and repair permission and disc. See if that throws up anything.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

Strangerover,

I have also run in to this problem,
I have used DiskWarrior to temporarily repair the problem with booting ...
but alas the final solution for me was to replace the hard drive and reinstall
every thing.. sucks but thats what I had to do .. And I did try all other disk
utilities.. in booting to the install disk .. single user mode running fsck -fy and
these did not show errors but it definitely was the hard drive failing..

Hate to say it but that may be your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Strangerover

Thanks csegeek thats what I was worrying about. I took Kevs advice and tried the permission/disc repair but no change. Looks like a new hard drive and reinstall.

In a rare moment of wisdom not long ago I backed up my itunes catalogue to a few dvd discs, will there be any problems returning it to my new itunes?
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

Strangerover,

I am not that versed with iTunes but you should be able to just import them in to the new install if you do have an iTunes acct you will have to de-authorize all machines with apple.. if you can't get back in to the iBook and just authorize the new install .. you could also use another machine put yours in target mode and suck every thing readable off via firewire..
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerover View Post
Thanks csegeek thats what I was worrying about. I took Kevs advice and tried the permission/disc repair but no change. Looks like a new hard drive and reinstall.

In a rare moment of wisdom not long ago I backed up my itunes catalogue to a few dvd discs, will there be any problems returning it to my new itunes?
No, just drag and drop the disc image over iTunes and it will import the tunes.
Shame it's your HD, what a pain.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Strangerover

Ok I've been wondering why a previously faultless hard drive has died when I did the software update. So I did a basic re-installation, the type that saves your files in a separate folder. This appears to have worked to the extent it's now asking me to log in, but is not recognising my old user password. But here's a new problem. I could re-set it but I need the master password, and it has just dawned on me that I dont have that, it was bought second hand and the previous owner set that. I may be able to contact him again and I have his password hint to jog his memory but is there any way around this if I cant?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Only by doing a completely clean install I'm afraid.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Looping | Wipe SSDs? »