New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - problems with my new macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madhurkishore

madhurkishore is on a distinguished road

well to start with, i bought a brand new macbook white and am facing a few problems:
plz help me sort them out...
i have creative 4.1 inspire speaker system...when i use the converters to connect the macbook to them, all i can hear is full volume in 2 speakers and the rest 2 speakers have vocals in a very dim sound.can i not use 4.1 speaker systems with my macbook?

i am not able to connect my nokia n 73 cellphone with my macbook through bluetooth.it says the cell is busy but its not...what exactly is the problem?

also the complete data in my macbook is around 80 gb but the macintosh hd shows only 11 gb free...where is this extra space going?

plz help...im really worried and i dun wanna repent my decision to switch to mac.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

The MB audio output only supports a 2.1 system. You need to get a USB card for a 4.1 system.

Not sure about the Nokia N73 issue - suggest you check compatibility between the two items on the Nokia website or give them a call.

How big is your HD? Remember that OS X takes up quite a few GB as well as programmes you have installed and come pre-installed on the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
madhurkishore

my hd is 120 gb.how much space wd the os eat up?
also how much wd the usb card cost me?
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

OS X takes up about 20GB so you're already done to 100GB. Sounds about right if you add in other programmes to your HD.

Depends on what sort of USB card you can afford. Are you in the UK or US...or somewhere else?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

1. The surround speakers never have the full sound that the primary front speakers have. On any system. They play the surround track that is embedded in the music/video you are listening to.

Unless the amplifier (that typically would come with a nice set of computer speakers) or the sound card has built in audio processing to allow you to change the way audio is reproduced. Has nothing to do with your Mac. A windows box would act the same way with most of your lower end sound cards.

There is not much we can do to help without knowing the model speakers you have. And even if we do, Creative typically does not put those owner's manuals online so we still couldn't look up the info. You will more than likely need to pull out the owner's manual, read it, and see if it allows for those type of adjustments. Probably if those speakers cost under $300, they will not.

2. This is an issue with your Nokia. There are a lot of complaints about this all over. It stopped working when Nokia updated from version 3 to version 4 firmware. That was a year ago, so maybe it's been worked out. I'd check Nokia's site, make sure you have the latest firmware on the phone, see if they have worked this out or not. Possibly there will be some other N73 user here that will know.

3. There are a couple nice apps that can show you how your disk space is being used - one of them is Disk Inventory X. This one is free.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Another thing Bob, Creative does not seem to support any Digital input like Tos-Link which the Macbook has.

To the OP, Do remember a 120GB drive in real life does not report 120GB free even if you Fdisk it. 111GB is about what it will have out of the box with No OS. This is the same with Windows, Linux, Mac because it's the way Drive Manufactures report free space. So if you start with 111GB say and then add OSX, iLife, iWork and all your stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Another thing Bob, Creative does not seem to support any Digital input like Tos-Link which the Macbook has.

To the OP, Do remember a 120GB drive in real life does not report 120GB free even if you Fdisk it. 111GB is about what it will have out of the box with No OS. This is the same with Windows, Linux, Mac because it's the way Drive Manufactures report free space. So if you start with 111GB say and then add OSX, iLife, iWork and all your stuff.
Yep, No digital input is an issue with almost all low end computer speakers.
Don't know if their current high end stuff has enough features or not. Just sold my 6 yr old 5.1 set up I had from when they were selling under the Cambridge name. Had Dolby Digital, DTX, THX. Still some of the best computer speakers I've ever heard. I may be sorry I did that down the road.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
madhurkishore

well i live in india....so can this problem be sorted out through a usb card or there isnt any solution...i cnt see my new 4.1 speaker system go waste...the speaker model is creative inspire m4500...
plz give ne possible solution so that i can use my speakers....
thank u so much in advance..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Caps Lock Key for 14" iBook G4 | so this is gonna be my first laptop »