New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

DVD player region free

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Avo

I'm a new Mac user (Powerbook G4, 1.5 GHZ, with DVD-RW) and I would need someone's help for telling me how to make my DVD-RW a free zone dvd player. I tried to look on the web, but was warned about the irreversible damage I could do to my driver if I messed up with it... As I have DVDs I bought in different continents of the world, I'd be glad to be able to watch them! Thanks for your help...
QUOTE Thanks
onryou

I maybe wrong, but from what other folks on the forums said it should just work.
No matter the region of the dvd.

onryou

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

onryou: That isn't the case with my iBook's combodrive, so I doubt it'd be different with the powerbook's superdrive.

Avo: There isn't a way to make your drive region-free without taking the risk or irreversible damage and voiding your warranty.

You can however rip DVD's with the utility Mactheripper which strips the region code and then burn the movie as a region-free disk...
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

There are software players that use DECSS that will play any regions DVDs. VLC is one.

There is a firmware hack to make the PBs drive region free but I have not tried it since I am not willing to risk tanking my internal drive.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

what? I thought all apple laptops had a region free dvd player? I was looking forward to watching DVD's I ordered from the UK. I mean hey, if a dell desktop can do it, why cant an iBook?
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Most DVD drives are not region free. If your Dell desktop can do it then it is random chance, the majority can not.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Perhaps i am mistaken then? Unless I am confusing "Regions"?

I thought all European DVD's were encoded in region 2, while here in the states, we have 1.

I just find it odd that i have a random chance desktop that will play DVD's region free
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

You are correct on what the Regions for DVDs are. What I mean by random is that the majority of commercial 3d generation DVD drives are not region free. Given the region free feature of a drive is not a determining factor for Dell, the odds are against them picking a region free model. Especially as you get into CD and DVD burners.

Maybe Dell specifically chose a region free DVD model, but I think it unlikely. It would not surprise me if Apple specifically chose a region lmited drive though.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Im pretty sure legally all drives are supposed to have a default region.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

What about having an opportunity to switch? I've read about this, as you can put a region 1 or 2 dvd in the drive and switch, but after the 5th time, it stops.

Also, I've been reading about NON firmware changes to make OSX's player region free..anyone tried it?
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

If it is required now that all DVD drives be able to be region locked it was not always the case, there is a page that lists known region free drives.

There are two restrictions you would need to bypass if you wanted to play DVDs from any region on OS X using the default player. First you need to flash your drive to make it region free, this bypasses the hardware restriction. Next you need to be able to change the region in the software. That is what Region X is for.

Once these two steps are accomplished you can play DVDs from any region with impunity. For me VLC works with the internal drive and any region disk. So I did not flash my drive, I just use VLC for my region 2 disks. There are reports that others are not so lucky though with recent PBs. The advantage of flashing the drive and using Region X is that playback can use hardware acceleration (or at least the low level hooks Apple's player uses) whereas VLC does everything using the CPU.

NOTE: The above is not based on experience. VLC was one of the first apps I downladed for my PB because I am used to using it on Windows and Slack. I did not give DVD regions any thought even though I do have Region 1 and 2 disks. I did research on unlocking the Mac drives and Region X basically due to this and an earlier thread. Therefore the information above is exactly as accurate as the resources I found.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

VLC was what i was thinking of. how well does that work for you? on their site, it says it works well with the later G3 iBooks.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Good point Kokopelli.

If I can get mactheripper to load the DVD, VLC should be able to read it as well.
You just have to stop DVD Player from automatically loading up, otherwise it spits out the disk if you choose not to change your region.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

VLC works fine but uses about 60% cpu at peak while running on my 1.33 GHz G4 PB. I would not expect it to work well on a G3 but it might if you were doing nothing else. At a guess a G3 above 700 MHz should be able to handle it without many skips.

I have OS X set to take no action when a DVD ioaded then launch VLC or the OS X dvd player manually as appropriate.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

I too have read that VLC uses very much system resources. I will not be multitasking when watching a DVD, so maybe i'll be ok.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Woohoo | iBook shutting off out of nowhere »