New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

cursor problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kathleen

I have a 12" Powerbook about 7 months old. Lately I the cursor has been acting funny. It jumps around all over the screen where I don't want it to go when I drag my finger across the touchpad. Or, it seems to get "stuck" as if a wall is in the way or something when I try to move the cursor to specific areas of the screen - especially the dock. Its movement it all around jerky. Basically it acts the way it does when you try to use the touchpad with another finger resting on it, or the way a mouse does when the ball or surface underneath is dirty. I cleaned the touchpad to no avail and my hands are clean. Anyone experience this before? What can I do?
QUOTE Thanks
Lasha

I think your trackpad is experiencing some technical difficulties. Give Apple a call and tell them about your problem. They can get it repaired for free if you have Applecare. Did you ever drop the PowerBook, or accidently hit it with something, or anything of those sorts that might have caused a problem to go off?
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

I agree with lasha. This happened on my old 15" powerbook after about 1 year of use.
I took it back to apple, and found out that it was a trackpad problem.
Hope you get it fixed.
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
kmahesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmaccoll
I agree with lasha. This happened on my old 15" powerbook after about 1 year of use.
I took it back to apple, and found out that it was a trackpad problem.
Hope you get it fixed.
Alex
Kathy - I got my PB 2 weeks back and this happens to me and it is VERY annoying - especially when I am typing an email. It looks we need to contact Apple for this?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

try out an external mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
kmahesh

Ok. There is some good news. I contacted Apple for this problem and this guy took me throught the process of power reset - I cant remember what is it called!. Basically, he asked me to remove the battery from PB and press and hold Option+Ctrl+Shift+Power key for 5 seconds or more. After adding the battery, the PB will ask you to set the time as this gets changed. Once you set this, "apparently" the issue is not to be noticed. So far I am okay. However, I still have disabled the horizontal scrolling feature as that drives me nuts.

Hope this helps ...

Good luck ....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook vs. powerbook speakers | Why wont Apple ship my iBook? »