New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - WWDC new macbook pro 13" - can I exchange mine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redryder

redryder is on a distinguished road

I bought my 13" unibody macbook less than a week ago, can I exchange it for the new model or am I screwed?
QUOTE Thanks
PearlJamFan

PearlJamFan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 Ghz Unibody 13" MacBook, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz, 1GB ram, iPod 16GB Touch, 30GB iPod Classic

I have the same question. I bought my MacBook six weeks ago and after spending all that money I'm a little peeved that the new model has now gone on sale. I know that you get free Apple Phone Support for 90 days after purchase - do you think it's worth calling them to see what they might do?

I'm at work so can't try it at the moment.

Many thanks for any advice.
QUOTE Thanks
rsmithgi

rsmithgi will become famous soon enough

As far as I know, if you have opened the box, you have two choices:

1. Return it and pay a restocking fee.

2. Keep it and get a rebate on your purchase price that is equal to the difference in price between what you paid and the end-of-life price on the previous generation machine.

That happened to me just before the latest iMac upgrades. I opted for option (2) and save $200.
QUOTE Thanks
rsmithgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJamFan View Post
I have the same question. I bought my MacBook six weeks ago and after spending all that money I'm a little peeved that the new model has now gone on sale. I know that you get free Apple Phone Support for 90 days after purchase - do you think it's worth calling them to see what they might do?

I'm at work so can't try it at the moment.

Many thanks for any advice.
Unfortunately, I think 6 weeks is too long to be able to return or get the discount.
QUOTE Thanks
redryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmithgi View Post
As far as I know, if you have opened the box, you have two choices:

1. Return it and pay a restocking fee.

2. Keep it and get a rebate on your purchase price that is equal to the difference in price between what you paid and the end-of-life price on the previous generation machine.

That happened to me just before the latest iMac upgrades. I opted for option (2) and save $200.
Are the new macbook pro 13" specs worth paying the restocking fee ($150)?
QUOTE Thanks
rsmithgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder View Post
Only you can answer that, but I'd probably take the $200 or so rebate from Apple and be happy. In the end, you get the computer you wanted a few days ago for $200 less than you were willing to pay. IMO, that's a good deal.

To get the new version, it would cost you $350 more than keeping the one that you have.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Only you can decide that. Compare the two of them and make an educated decision for yourself and your financial situation.

If you purchased less than a week ago, give Apple a call and be nice - ask what they can do for you.

6 weeks ago - give me a break.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
redryder

But would the new long life battery work on my macbook uni? That would be a compelling reason to change if it only works on pros.
QUOTE Thanks
PearlJamFan

PearlJamFan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 Ghz Unibody 13" MacBook, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz, 1GB ram, iPod 16GB Touch, 30GB iPod Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmithgi View Post
Unfortunately, I think 6 weeks is too long to be able to return or get the discount.
Yeah, that's what I figured but you never know till you ask. Thanks for your response rsmithgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
6 weeks ago - give me a break.
I was only asking a question. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
But would the new long life battery work on my macbook uni? That would be a compelling reason to change if it only works on pros.
I'd have to say no since the new battery is built into the new MBP.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick Question Regarding Graphics. | ibook G4 not starting up properly »