New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Does Processor Speed Matter?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shaps6

shaps6 is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

I'm new here, so first I'd like to say "hi."

I'm looking to buy a new Macbook Pro and was wondering whether or not I should get the one with the 2.53 GHz processor or spring for the 2.66 GHz processor.

I'm planning on using Logic on the machine and will probably upgrade to a larger HD and 8GB of RAM. Will I notice a difference if I take the 2.53 over the 2.66 or vice versa?

Thanks,

Eddie
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Doubtful. You're talking a difference of 130MHz. That amounts to almost nothing in the real world. Now, if you were rendering 3D animation and an extra 15 seconds of rendering time was worth the price difference, that would be one thing, but for those of us that do every day computing, it's negligible at best.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

When using Logic, your RAM will make a much bigger impact.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Note that 8GB of RAM is also going to be very expensive. You would probably be okay with less RAM but to be fair, I don't use Logic.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
shaps6

shaps6 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies, guys. Really helpful.

Will RAM really be all that expensive? I realize that apple's charging 900, but they always charge too much. I could have sworn that I saw a pack of two 4GB RAM chips on new egg for around $90? Was I looking at the wrong thing?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaps6 View Post

Will RAM really be all that expensive? I realize that apple's charging 900, but they always charge too much. I could have sworn that I saw a pack of two 4GB RAM chips on new egg for around $90? Was I looking at the wrong thing?
From the prices here, I would say yeah you were looking at the wrong thing.
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

I have been using logic for a while, Logic Express that is. And as D3v1L80Y tells you RAM is the most important part for getting logic to run smoothly...

If I knew I was going to use the computer mainly for logic and I had to choose between the 2.53 GHz and2 the 2.66 one. Or choose RAM, I would have taken more RAM any day ...

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:

I agree with CrimsonRequiem. According to Apple, the system requirements for Pro are 2GB of RAM. My take is that you should be fine with 4GB but as I said earlier, I don't use Logic.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:

Yep, you were. All the unibodies use DDR3, so you're looking at around $7-800 even 3rd party for 2 x 4GB.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

I have friends that run logic pro on a 2.5GHz with 4GB (DDR2) without an issue. He uses it everyday for about 5 hours and it doesn't even blink.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bought the new 17" macbook pro with the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT | New battery in new model? »