New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Black MacBook - Cracked Screen and Broken Logic Board

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBurke

JBurke is on a distinguished road

Last fall, the screen on my beloved black Macbook cracked. I used it for a month or two after that since I could still somewhat see the screen and I definitely didn't have an extra $400 to cough up for that convenience at the time. Then one day, I went to turn it on and it stayed off. Nothing worked. I took it to an Apple store and they said the logic board had broke and a replacement would be just under what a new macbook would cost. I now have the newer Macbook and the broken black one is just sitting around. I have 2 questions - 1) how do I go about getting the information off of my old hard drive/how much would that cost? 2) Once I have gotten all the info off, how much do you think I could get for the broken Macbook? I'm not sure on the stats, I got it as is from the store - I know it had 160gb. I was going to take into a store, but I wanted to check online first so I wouldn't be getting ripped off. If ANYONE could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Jade Tiki Puku

Jade Tiki Puku is on a distinguished road

I repair macbooks, this will sell for about $220-250 on eBay, if you put an informative and concise advert on there someone will buy it. I hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
rsmithgi

rsmithgi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurke View Post
Last fall, the screen on my beloved black Macbook cracked. I used it for a month or two after that since I could still somewhat see the screen and I definitely didn't have an extra $400 to cough up for that convenience at the time. Then one day, I went to turn it on and it stayed off. Nothing worked. I took it to an Apple store and they said the logic board had broke and a replacement would be just under what a new macbook would cost. I now have the newer Macbook and the broken black one is just sitting around. I have 2 questions - 1) how do I go about getting the information off of my old hard drive/how much would that cost? 2) Once I have gotten all the info off, how much do you think I could get for the broken Macbook? I'm not sure on the stats, I got it as is from the store - I know it had 160gb. I was going to take into a store, but I wanted to check online first so I wouldn't be getting ripped off. If ANYONE could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
You can buy an external case for the black macbook drive and plug it into the new macbook to copy the data. Once you have all of the data, you can erase it and put it back. Cases can be purchased for $20.

Here is a nice looking case from a very reputable vendor:

OWC Express 2.5" Portable USB 2.0 Enclosure... (ES2.5BPU2S) at OWC

If you don't already have a backup solution, you can buy an extra portable drive, put it in the case, and you are all set.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« After shuting down macbook pro is on | RAM upgrade question »