New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Screen Issues :( Looking for advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlixShmalix

AlixShmalix is on a distinguished road

Hey guys. So I was on my macbook today reading random pages on wikipedia (as you can see in the picture) and talking to a few friends on Adium and suddenly a huge greay bar appears down the right side of my screen. I have no idea where it came from or why it did that but I'll post some pictures. (sorry the pictures are lame, I took them with my phone)

That's what it looked like at first...but then I restarted and now it looks like this:

I can't make an appointment with the apple store until I get my schedule tonight at work. But do you guys have any idea what may have caused this? And what is the likelyhood this will get fixed?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It may be a defect or problem with your graphics chipset. In any event, if your machine is still under warranty don't worry about it. The genius folks at your local Apple store will sort it out and get it repaired for you. Make an appointment first before taking it on in. And, a bit of advice... back up all your data first.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Only by plugging in an external display can you be sure, but from the picture it looks as if you have an LCD display fault. Either way it will be the LCD or logic board, hope it's under warranty or Applecare. Good luck.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
ossa7

ossa7 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro silver key, 80gb Almost Leopard

Can I throw a fast one at you guys? My poor macbook pro has been through a lot. I had a line running from top to bottom of my screen from a previous drop. Recently it took another hit and I now have an image on only once side of the screen (left side). It is a reduced image of what would be seen on the whole screen. The right side of the screen seems to be lit but no graphics show up. I'll try and include a picture. When the mbp is hooked up to an external monitor the image is fine and all seems to be working. Any idea of what the solution would be? I'm ready to put in another screen if that would solve the problem. It is a 15" macbook pro (old school) and I'm running Tiger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg macbook screen.jpeg (7.6 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

That would appear to be a physical fault from...dropping. You're going to go in to have that fixed. There's not much you can do.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
ossa7

ossa7 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro silver key, 80gb Almost Leopard

Thanks vansmith. I've got my mac in with great repair guy whose worked on a number of my mac's but this one is stumping him. He's going to keep at it but I thought someone might have seen this specific problem before. I am encouraged that the image is fine on an external monitor and was hoping a new screen would solve it. Any specifics of anyone who knows this problem?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery sometimes does not charge and rattling sound | Macbook broken lid-switch »