New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ibook+multimedia

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MissLateralus

Hi People,

Other than surfing the net and using Office do any of you use your ibooks for multimedia purposes. Not heavy multimedia use, but making the occasional video in imovie, web page creation etc?

I want to buy an ibook, but not if the only thing I can do with it is surf the web and use applications like office. If I buy a mac I want to be able to use the ilife suite without the computer acting sluggish-with the RAM maxed out of course. I know a powerbook is a better option but its a lot more expensive.

Currently I have a PIV desktop PC with a gig of RAM. Anyone with PIV's and the new Ibook - what is the difference in performance? Cos I'm happy with the performace of my desktop computer.

I'm after the new 1.2Hgz model with 12" screen.

Just curious as to what ppl use their ibooks for other than office and web based use....

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

i have used iMovie Flash Dreamweaver as long as you have more ram than the 256 u should be o.k.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I use my ibook G3 for image editing, Web design and 3D render work and it handles it all fine. :cool:

Also, you may want to consider getting the 14" model if you will be using Multimedia apps.
QUOTE Thanks
stevieb

I use my iBook for video and graphics editing - just get more ram.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I edit my Band's performances on my iBook and also burn DVD's with it...

No issues whatsoever, obviously performance isn't a fluid as reading my e-mail, but it still runs fine for my uses...
QUOTE Thanks
bhanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bobbins
I use my ibook G3 for image editing, Web design and 3D render work and it handles it all fine. :cool:

Also, you may want to consider getting the 14" model if you will be using Multimedia apps.
I don't think that would give a significant advantage, they both run at the same resolution as far as I know.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

You get a larger viewing area, more space to put the palettes and stuff which is handy.
QUOTE Thanks
bhanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bobbins
You get a larger viewing area, more space to put the palettes and stuff which is handy.
Not if they run at the same resolution. (I'm unsure of this, can someone confirm?)

If they run at the same resolution, then you could fit no more on your screen using the 14" as you could on the 12", everything would just seem larger, NOT sharper.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

But it.

I have 12.ghz
768mb Ram
60Gb HD
BT
Wireless

Its an animal of a laptop!

I use Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop and lots of others.

No trouble.

I hear the powerbook is better, I've never used one but it cant be that much better!
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

I meant *BUY IT*
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanson
Not if they run at the same resolution. (I'm unsure of this, can someone confirm?)

If they run at the same resolution, then you could fit no more on your screen using the 14" as you could on the 12", everything would just seem larger, NOT sharper.
That's correct: They both have a max. resolution of 1024x768, so they have an identical amount of space to display stuff, but things are bigger on the 14" model.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Well, I tried both out in the shop and found the 12" model too small to be working with Photoshop so I went for the 14" . It's no sharper I know but I liked it more.

All I was saying is that she should 'consider' the 14" model,I didn't say it was better, it just depends what your personal preference is.
QUOTE Thanks
amartins02

I think a good analogy is take a rubber band and write your name on it. That is a 12 inch screen. Then stretch it a little. Its still viewable not as sharp, and that is the 14.
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

more like .....stretch it.. and then write you name on it...... and that is a 14.. and then take that and little it srink to normal size and that is a 12...
( take that a STRETCH IT AS FAR AS IT CAN GO) and that is a 30 inch cinema) heheh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What dya think of this PB offer? | iBook broken? »