New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Ibook G3 (early 2003)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kife1100

Kife1100 is on a distinguished road

I just bought an Ibook G3 for 50$ from a guy across the street from me and he gave me everything that is included with it and all the installation CD's the only problem is that the latest one is 10.1.5. I wanted to know if I can upgrade the RAM in it and also if I can run Tiger or Panther on it if I max out on Ram because I am having quite some problems on it like I can't download any browser that will support Flash, and I can't really be upgraded to anything "new" also Java has some problems running on it, the browser I am running right now is Netscape even though it has been discontinued it is the only one that will install and run smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I couldn't find much info on that particular model iBook G3 but according to Mactracker you can install Tiger. (OS X 10.4.11) Maximum memory is 640 MB. You can also find some info at this site. Link

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

I typically avoid installing Tiger on G3 machines. But if it's one of the faster ones and you max out the RAM it might run alright. Just don't expect great video playback.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
bikalpapaudel

bikalpapaudel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch

What are the specifications?

If you max out the RAM nevertheless, you can run Tiger 10.4.11 pretty well. Or maybe 10.3.9 if its a bit low on the hardware.

Aluminum MacBook Pro 13", AOC 22" Full HD. iPod Touch, HTC Gene. Windows 7 on a dumpster.

Everest, Buddha, Gorkha.
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

my iBook G3 900MHz with maxed 640MB ram runs Tiger just fine. i was even able to get iPhoto and iWeb from iLife 06 running on it as well as Pages and Numbers from iWork 08.

as mentioned earlier the video isnt going to be that great.

"i believe louisiana is the pelican state"
QUOTE Thanks
datamonger128

datamonger128 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Early 09), PowerBook G4 12" (DVI), Macintosh LCII, Macintosh Classic

Well, since it has 32MB VRAM, I would go with Tiger, but as others have said, don't expect great video performance. Definately max out the RAM, which would be 640MB. If the previous owner never upgraded the hard drive, I would also recommend getting an external drive for music and things of the sort. It would also be advisable to get a Firewire Superdrive if the computer doesn't have a DVD drive, as a DVD drive is required for the installation of Tiger.

MacBook (Early 09) | 2.0GHz C2D | 2GB DDR2 | 500GB HDD | GeForce 9400M | Dual-Boot Snow Leopard/Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
PowerBook G4 12" (DVI) | 1.0GHz PPC G4 | 768MB DDR | 250GB HDD | GeForce FX Go5200 | OS X "Tiger"
QUOTE Thanks
Kife1100

Kife1100 is on a distinguished road

Yeah thanks I am ordering RAM right now I made sure it was the right type and I will order Tiger when I get the money thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wont turn on | I've replaced the LCD, not working right. »