New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

!help might buy an Ibook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soup

Hello, im a 20yr old Graphic Design student in Alberta, I was saving my money to buy a new 1.6G imac, but now im thinking of buying a 800mgz 12.1 Ibook, its soo much cheaper and its portable tooo so thats a bonus, but can somebody please help me out? i have a few questions, will I be able to run photoshop without buying more ram?? and will I be able to run Lightwave 7, I no there is no way i could render in light wave on this Ibook, but would i be able to model on it (then render in the lab at school) What is the sound quality like for mp3? Is there anything else i should take into consideration while deciding if i want this Ibook or saving up to buy an imac (itll take about a year)
thank you
soup
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Well you can run Photoshop on it, I do, but I would definitely max the RAM. It's not really that much more expensive to do that and you really will notice a difference. As for Lightwave, I'm not sure, I haven't used that.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dbrown

You will definately need to max out the ran for lightwave Rendering...it will take forever if you don't max out the ram.. MP3 quality, good with external speakers.

Consider getting applecare...it is a necessity with a portable computer...and the iBook is arguably susceptable to logic board failures.

Other than that, the only other recommendation I would give you is to shop around...don't just purchase an iBook because it is an apple...
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

No logic board failures for me or any of the other 12 people I know with an iBook. Facts please?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
No logic board failures for me or any of the other 12 people I know with an iBook. Facts please?
http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...@.3bbeca9e/383

AND YOU WILL NOTICE THAT I SAID ARGUABLY!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
the 5 people i know with iBooks have had no problems with theirs. I love my iMac, but i dont think you should have any problems with either one you buy. Maxing out the RAM on both is a great idea, especially with running lightwave and photoshop

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah the peole I know with iBooks love them, same with powerbooks, although the biggest complaint I have heard with powerbooks is them heating up and the 17" is too big to travel with *hehe* Get a 15" then!

Anyways yeah.. iBooks.. havent heard any problems with people I know personally.
QUOTE Thanks
luther

You will have no problem with PS on the I book but maxing out the ram will save you some frustrations. Also you might want to max out the harddrive at 60gb. I am not sure about the other program. Apple is far superior in the laptop arena. I unfortunately have to use a pc for work and I am sorry but the speed and especially the quality is just not there. Good Luck and use your student discount.
QUOTE Thanks
luther

apple rules!
QUOTE Thanks
luther

Oh yea and get an ipod or in your case (student budget) an external firewire harddrive and back up and save your work everynite. Someday you will thank me for that advice.
QUOTE Thanks
dcoltonbrown

I just wanted to know if you still need facts about the iBook and the faulty logic board?

dbrown
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

i worked for my high school over the summer, installing 300 ibooks, and maintaining the 300 they already had... and yea... hes right, some do have logic board problems...but most of those were cause by your typical jerk high school student that has no respect for equiptment and slams the ibooks into the carts they are carried on... out of the 300, only like 10 of them ever had to have the logic board replaced... and i believe if you break the power connector on them, you need to replace the entire logic board...which is *probably* the reason so many of them fail to begin with

i wouldnt worry about it unless you dont take care of your stuff
QUOTE Thanks
dcoltonbrown

Are you saying that logic board failures are due to user abuse? Holy cow, how far will some of you people go to defend Apple? They institute a recall/ replacement program because they FINALLY admitted to selling and marketing faulty products and you have the gall to say the issue is due to user abuse? Unfreakinbelievable!
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoltonbrown
Are you saying that logic board failures are due to user abuse? Holy cow, how far will some of you people go to defend Apple? They institute a recall/ replacement program because they FINALLY admitted to selling and marketing faulty products and you have the gall to say the issue is due to user abuse? Unfreakinbelievable!
Did you read the post? He said that in his case most of the damage comes from student abuse. He said nothing else. I would tend to think in his case he is right, when people do not own or pay for something they treat it like garbage, they just don't care. I worked for years in mining and the same was true there only on a much larger monetary scale. The drivers of the vehicles (sometimes $1,000,000 plus and instead of using the brakes they would simply run them into stone walls. Now granted I am not talking about your mothers car or anything like that, these are made for the most part of 1" plate steel so they will take some abuse but still. We have had people run them out of oil and keep on going, even though there is an alarm and lights, they just ignore it, after all it is not theirs!

Larry
QUOTE Thanks
PC HATER

From what I have heard the new ibooks have not had any problems, and I am pretty sure that they wont in the future, As far abuse I have seen it all when it comes to ibook. i live in a county where there are ibooks for everyone and they are abused to the breaking point. for example thrown out a window or roleed over a car or the disc drive ripped out or the screan cracked. just to name a few. they are very strong computers, but are able to be destroyed and logic board failure is very possible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook purse | screen hinge »