New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Unibody MacBook Pro Fire!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

What happened in the end?

Did Apple find out why this happened?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Zombie thread, folks....

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

True - but it would be nice to find out what happened in the end. i.e. Did Apple find the route cause, and what machine did he get in exchange.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I have to say that I'm glad I saw this thread. I wasn't aware that there was any issue at all but these stories scared me so bad I took a look at my MagSafe power cord and it is horribly frayed! I'm so glad I didn't go a day longer leaving it plugged in all the time. I'm going to the Apple store right now to see if they'll replace this.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Follow up:

The Genius I met with said that even though my Macbook Pro is out of warranty, they could replace the power adapter for free. So I definitely recommend that everyone checks their cord right now to see if it's a potential hazard!
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

Where was it frayed?
QUOTE Thanks
lacson

lacson is on a distinguished road

Folks stuff like this should not happen at all, ever. I just got my MBP and I am now worried about this. Apple need to take a look at this and figure out what happened. They need some explaining or a recall or something. This is really serious stuff, anytime it involves fire. One incident is one incident too many.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacson View Post
Folks stuff like this should not happen at all, ever. I just got my MBP and I am now worried about this. Apple need to take a look at this and figure out what happened. They need some explaining or a recall or something. This is really serious stuff, anytime it involves fire. One incident is one incident too many.
I guarantee that they have by now. Smoke is a major concern for those of us in the hardware field, and despite the manufacturing company I do not know of ANY that do not perform a thorough root cause analysis on smoked product. Period.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
lacson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I guarantee that they have by now. Smoke is a major concern for those of us in the hardware field, and despite the manufacturing company I do not know of ANY that do not perform a thorough root cause analysis on smoked product. Period.
I hope so. I just sent them an email anyway to find out if they know about this and if they have done an investigation and what was the cause. I sent them the link to this thread.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
I hope so. I just sent them an email anyway to find out if they know about this and if they have done an investigation and what was the cause. I sent them the link to this thread.
I can tell you that the company I work for... unless it was YOUR equipment, you'd never hear the FA results. For what it's worth, every piece of electronics you own is subject to similar faults. Worse still, the wiring in your house probably has higher risk

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
lacson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I can tell you that the company I work for... unless it was YOUR equipment, you'd never hear the FA results. For what it's worth, every piece of electronics you own is subject to similar faults. Worse still, the wiring in your house probably has higher risk
It's best to find out both for them and us, before people start dying from it. Once it gets to that point it'll get costly.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just for the record and not trying to be a fanboy in any way. I have seen Dell Laptops burst into flames and very little was said but if an Apple product does it, people all rip into Apple and their products. Most of the Laptop fires I have seen were defective batteries. The few macs at least a year ago that I read about catching fire had the defective Sony manufactured batteries. That was clearly Sony's fault and they were recalled and new batteries given the user for free in the case of Apple at least.

The Dell's that I saw literally burst into flames had the same design batteries made by Sony.

The problem in this thread might be something different but I am sure Apple has looked into it. Trust me, they don't want to be sued either!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
It's best to find out both for them and us, before people start dying from it. Once it gets to that point it'll get costly.
It's worth pointing out that any electronic device is subject to fire, period. It doesn't matter whether it's a laptop or a blender. Anytime there is a short (and this is obviously the result of a short, either in the power adapter, the connector or the guts of the laptop), there's going to be smoke at the very least.

Keep an eye on your adapter's plug and the cabling. Make sure there's no cracks in the shielding or dirt around the port. I can almost guarantee you that this is what happened with this particular machine. Solid state electronics don't usually suffer these kinds of problems unless there is some external influence (like an animal chewing on a cable, damaging shielding).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Nik Nax

Nik Nax is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2Gb Ram 250Gb HD

Jeez man thats brutal, makes me worried. Glad to hear your ok though and make sure you tell the folks at apple about the burn, they might be more willing to give you a new machine.

www.oblivinious.webs.com
Oblivion Level 51 Sorcery Archer
Halo 3 MLG 50

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Very good points CWA. Also another point you mentioned one time, make sure your Mag Safe plug and jack does not pick up any metal particles. That will cause a short for sure. It's a good idea to check it before you plug it in and be sure it's clean. It's magnetic after all and can pick up other metal. It does not take much to short out the pins.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display Problem | Macbook DVD drive is bogging down the whole system »