Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    e-RICHIE
    Guest
    speed questions...
    i just bought an ibook g4 and installed an extra 256 ram, (or so i thought!). compared to my dell 5150 inspiron laptop, the ibook is slower between all the same functions i do on each machine. are there any devices, upgrades, or downloads that i can get to work faster? most, but not all, issues are regarding internet page use. fwiw, i am on an sbc dsl modem and there is an airport card in the ibook.
    thanks!
    e-RICHIE

  2. #2
    speed questions...
    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Which browser are you using?

    It's worth bearing in mind that most pages are optimized for use with Internet Explorer for PC, so some speed issues can't be avoided. Maybe try camino, that's fairly snappy!

  3. #3
    e-RICHIE
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    Which browser are you using?

    It's worth bearing in mind that most pages are optimized for use with Internet Explorer for PC, so some speed issues can't be avoided. Maybe try camino, that's fairly snappy!

    thanks for replying.
    though i am used to i.e., the ibook came only with
    safari. it is quite different for me, but that is my
    link to online browsing. i thought about downloading
    i.e. for mac, but the appliance is three days old and
    i don't want to start "messin'" with it.
    in short, the page loads will be different through
    safari compared to with i.e.? can i safely download
    i.e. and make it my default browser?
    e-RICHIE

  4. #4
    Jordan
    Guest
    Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
    thanks for replying.
    though i am used to i.e., the ibook came only with
    safari. it is quite different for me, but that is my
    link to online browsing. i thought about downloading
    i.e. for mac, but the appliance is three days old and
    i don't want to start "messin'" with it.
    in short, the page loads will be different through
    safari compared to with i.e.? can i safely download
    i.e. and make it my default browser?
    e-RICHIE
    Isn't Internet Explorer in your applications folder already? Take a look there.

    Ciao,

    Jordan

  5. #5
    e-RICHIE
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Isn't Internet Explorer in your applications folder already? Take a look there.

    Ciao,

    Jordan

    dang!
    it is there.
    i just set it to my sidebar and tried it all as my default
    browser; the settings are much more familiar to me as
    a career pc user. i think i'll stay with i.e. for awhile as
    i get used to the ibook on day 4!
    one more quetion regarding my original query: on the
    icon for mac osx downloads, the top listed favorite is
    something called "speed download 3.0". is that a recommended
    download, and will it be noticeable using i.e. or some
    other programs/application?
    thanks.
    e-RICHIE

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. VMWare speed and graphics questions
    By rholmes01 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 09:59 AM
  2. questions about connection speed
    By WGT53 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 10:22 PM
  3. Few questions about iMac G5 speed for todays apps
    By AlfaFoxtrot in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM
  4. os update and proc speed questions
    By rokkitt in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 05:48 PM
  5. powermac superdrive recording speed questions.
    By flyin3d in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •