New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Prospective owner with serious question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

connollyck

Hey Everyone,
Ive decided to go with a mac laptop. Hearing about this ibook screen bottom warpage really worries me--it was the reason i returned my dell inspiron 6000 last week. Has this problem been resolved? I really don't want to spend over a grand on something that has a cheapo looking defect--Conversely I don't want to spend 1500 on the powerbook. What's the verdict?
Thanks,
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Maxwell690

Quote:
Originally Posted by connollyck
Hey Everyone,
Ive decided to go with a mac laptop. Hearing about this ibook screen bottom warpage really worries me--it was the reason i returned my dell inspiron 6000 last week. Has this problem been resolved? I really don't want to spend over a grand on something that has a cheapo looking defect--Conversely I don't want to spend 1500 on the powerbook. What's the verdict?
Thanks,
Chris

Do you need a powerbook ? If the answer is no then forget about them, only buy what you need.

I had a similar dilema a couple of months ago when I was buying one.

You have two options:
1. Buy a 12 inch iBook, most people have no problems with them and if you were to have such problems they would be noticable pretty quickly and you could get Apple to fix it for free or give you a new one.

2. Though if you are really worried, get yourself a 14 inch iiBook, not heard anyone have any issues with screen warpage on these. You'll have a lovely shiny new mac and can play peacefully !

I went for the 14 inch and haven't looked back !
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

I have had my iBook 12" for about 4 or 5 months now, and haven't had any problems with mine. Everything still looks pertect. Most of the screen problems are with the older iBooks arent they? I love my 12", soo small I take it with me almost everywhere.

QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I've had my 12" iBook for a couple of months and it shows no sign of the bending. My girlfriend's 14" iBook is almost a year old and shows a little bit of it.

In either case, I wouldn't let it stop you from buying one-- you'll be happy.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

is there a picture anywhere of screen warpage?

QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Check the first posting in this thread:

ibook 12" monitor bend
QUOTE Thanks
connollyck

it looks like sh1t
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrman22
I have had my iBook 12" for about 4 or 5 months now, and haven't had any problems with mine. Everything still looks pertect. Most of the screen problems are with the older iBooks arent they? I love my 12", soo small I take it with me almost everywhere.
Actually, it seems quite a few of them are new or relatively new. Within the last year, perhaps early 2004?
QUOTE Thanks
connollyck

well screw it. i bought a 12inch ibook with 512 ram, 60gig hd, bluetooth online today with my discount and a 30 dollar off coupon. we'll see. im excited.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Seeing that made me weary of buying one, but I don't really understand why this is a new problem. The only people that have the problem, have new iBooks. They haven't changed the overall case design, have they?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by connollyck
coupon
Where did you find that?
QUOTE Thanks
connollyck

This is the promotional code MARBHLU2SJ
you get 30 bucks off any purchase over 300
apple sent me an email.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help in deciding | AppleCare »