New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mayhem

Hello, I have an iBook G3, 12.1 screen, dual usb. Well, awhile ago I found it had a scrath of some sorts on it somehow. So there is now a nasty looking blot of black around the scratch. I phone Apple and they say it's like $800 to repair it, forget that. Well I found on ebay that I can buy a 12.1 LCD screen(buy itself) with nothing wrong with it for under $100. Two questions:

1)Should I buy it?

2)How would I install it? It'd involve me disassembling my iBook and I want to make sure it I open this baby up, I'm going to know what I am doing.

Thank you,
Mayhem
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

What kind of screen is it? Is it an old iBook screen? Or is it just a generic 12" lcd panel?

I'd really try to buy an old iBook screen... you'll probably save yourself a lot of trouble as the screen would already be mounted in the case etc.

Maybe someone else could tell you more about the actual connectors...
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

most of those installation type processes are self explanitory, but search online for a how to, or a faq, or basic design information of the ibook. It shouldn't be easy to screw anything up, figure if you do, just plug another monitor into it
QUOTE Thanks
Mayhem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

It's just the panel from an old iBook. I've searched online, but I can't find anything that'll show me how to replace the screen with a new one.

Later,
Mayhem
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

oh, ha, thats not what i expected. Alright, that could be a little tricky, my guess is start taking off the case and work from there. Im betting once you buy the monitor you will beable to figure it out from there by looking at the back and the way it would fit in there.
QUOTE Thanks
ryanyogan

You might have to do some soldering, then again I could be wrong and a company might of actually made something easy to fix for once.....
QUOTE Thanks
Mayhem

I contacted the seller and told me how I could do it, and is VERY simple. Just some unscrewin and unpluggin'.

Thnx for all the help.

Later,
Mayhem
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using iBook as a monitor | Help in deciding »