New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - New Mac Book or old mac book pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gsman

gsman is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
I have a first generation single core 17" mac book pro (2.16 Ghz - 2GM ram X1600 w.256 mb vram).
My question is this,
I use Maya and photoshop allot so video performance is very important to me.
I don't want to spend what they are asking for a new 17" but the local shop will take my 17" in trade towards a new laptop and I was wondering this:
Is the new 13" mack book as good as my 2 year old+ mac pro? I know if will take more ram which would be nice and I am kind of partial to the smaller overall size since I ride my bicycle to work allot now.
No one can really answer if the new machine (MAc book) would be better than the 17" Mack Pro I have.
On the specs and surface it seems better but i want some more expert opinions!
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsman View Post
I have a first generation single core 17" mac book pro (2.16 Ghz - 2GM ram X1600 w.256 mb vram).

I use Maya and photoshop

Is the new 13" mack book as good as my 2 year old+ mac pro?
No, it isn't better.

I'm a designer myself.

If you can trade it in, do so and get the newer 15" MBP.
Also be sure to get more RAM for the machine and you should be fine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

processor and ram wise, the new 13 uni will be better. But, I have seen all photoshop processes running on the new 9400m and there isn't really anything to complain about. I would pick the new 15 though. the top model adds the 9600m gt with 512 of memory ram.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Hard Drive Won't Reformat | letter K not working well on new macbook pro - OS X »