New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Quick question fellow iBookers'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Ok , like I said quick...

ibook G4 1.2ghz 256mb ram

Upgrade with a 512mb or 1024mb stick? Will I notice a big difference between the 512 and the 1024. I found a 1024 stick for $219, anyone else know of a better deal? please respond.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i am not sure if you can even use that much RAM, someone will prolly clarify for yo9u, but i would go with the 1.02GB RAM just cause. i have 512 total and occasionally i will get iTunes, Acrobat Reader, Apple Works, Mail, and Safari open all at once and i dont notice a slow down. i all practicality, i believe that you wont need anymore than 512 if you dont do any major computer work. IMO

QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

If your doing a lot of graphics , movie, 3d render work then I'd go for it, but if your just surfing the web then your not going to need it.

If you put in a harddrive that runs at 7200rpm then that may give you more of a speed bump.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

I agree with fearlessfreap24
You would have to have several applications opened to eat up 768mb. Extra ram isn't going to give you more speed if the application(s) totally reside in ram.

$219 for 1gb (not bad)
A few years back I gave $600 for a 16mb stick to go into a Quadra. I guess a 1gb stick would have cost me $38,400.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

I bought a gig stick from www.coastmemory.com for $217.95 with 2-3 day shipping. So now I will have 1280mb total. Hooray. Im sure I will notice a huge increase in my computer's performance, correct?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, you will

Not Pentium 1 to G4 huge, but stil significant...
QUOTE Thanks
crisrose

there was a significant improvement from 256mb to 1.3Gb memory

do it.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

Its already on its way, Im thinking about doing a picture filled walk-through on how to upgrade the memory on an iBook. Any objections?
QUOTE Thanks
jsb515

jsb515 is on a distinguished road

nope that would be great if you want to do that since I will be upgradeing the ram in my so if you do pictures then I will get a idea of how to do it
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

Well I did 2 days ago when it arrived, took about 5-10 mins. Now I have 1.25GB of ram, HAHAHAHAHA. Lol.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just purchased my first ever Mac (ibook 12.1) | link to the product "hinge adjustment" kit »