New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fdb

I bought an iBook on ebay last night. The specs are as follows:

800mghtz iBook G3
384 MB RAM
30 GB HD
12" LCD
Standard CD-ROM
OSX Panther
Airport Card
Good condition

The auction came w/ OS CDs, an airport base station, AC adapter and free shipping for $599. Good deal?

My next question is can I buy any USB bluetooth adapter? Do I have to use the apple bluetooth mouse or can I use others?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdb
I bought an iBook on ebay last night. The specs are as follows:

800mghtz iBook G3
384 MB RAM
30 GB HD
12" LCD
Standard CD-ROM
OSX Panther
Airport Card
Good condition

The auction came w/ OS CDs, an airport base station, AC adapter and free shipping for $599. Good deal?

My next question is can I buy any USB bluetooth adapter? Do I have to use the apple bluetooth mouse or can I use others?

Thanks.
Not sure if it was specifically a GOOD deal, but that seems to be what they are going for, so you didn't get ripped off. Regarding the BT, a USB bluetooth adapter will work just fine, and no, you do not have to use the Apple units. Though, the apple units do look great, and have exeptional performance.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
fdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Not sure if it was specifically a GOOD deal, but that seems to be what they are going for, so you didn't get ripped off. Regarding the BT, a USB bluetooth adapter will work just fine, and no, you do not have to use the Apple units. Though, the apple units do look great, and have exeptional performance.

-Chris
I was curious because the apple bluetooth mouse package states that you need either internal bluetooth of a dlink dbt-120 usb adapter. Is this just a deal w/ apple and d-link? The d-link adapter is like 4X more expensive than the no-name brands.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdb
I was curious because the apple bluetooth mouse package states that you need either internal bluetooth of a dlink dbt-120 usb adapter. Is this just a deal w/ apple and d-link? The d-link adapter is like 4X more expensive than the no-name brands.
Hmmm... I didn't know they said that. The experience I have is with my frind who runs a G4 Cube with some no name USB BT adapter, an Apple BT keyboard, and (I think) a Logitec BT mouse, but I could be wrong on the mouse. Anyone else have any input on this?

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I am pretty sure any BT mouse with work.

I think you got a really good deal, I have seen really basic 700mhz iBooks sell for that much on Ebay recently.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
I am pretty sure any BT mouse with work.

I think you got a really good deal, I have seen really basic 700mhz iBooks sell for that much on Ebay recently.
And I'm not even sure why that is. You can get a restored/refurb 700 mhz iBook for 519 (cd drive)..

the airport and full CD backups plus the ram is a decent deal though. the refurbs come with no CD software, 256 mb ram, and no airport. so i say you did alright.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchultz
You can get a restored/refurb 700 mhz iBook for 519 (cd drive)...
Where?
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/pro...cat=254&page=1

For $550, you can get the combo drive, which I'll probably be doing next month. I had to sit through 2 days of driving from Chicago To Vail, CO this past Christmas ...so I'll just plug in the ol' car adapter and watch DVD's this time!
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I dont really think you got the best deal... You can get a G4 ibook 12 inch with a combo drive and OSX tiger for 600. Unless these G3's are selling that high as a collectible item???

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMania55
I dont really think you got the best deal... You can get a G4 ibook 12 inch with a combo drive and OSX tiger for 600. Unless these G3's are selling that high as a collectible item???

Check the date on this thread, it is over a year old. Yes, prices have come down since then.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

i have that DLINK BT for my mac mini, before i put my BT/AIRPORT Card in it. Works just as good as the apple one. just cost less and you can use it on any PC or MAC you have. Look on ebay you can get one pretty cheap. Anothere reason they are suggesting the DLINK and the APPLE becuase they have stronger signal then others. but any will work
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMania55
Why did you post in a thread that is OLD as the hills? When he bought his iBook that was a fair price. Check the date on the message in the future please.
QUOTE Thanks
Johnson

Johnson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP i5

I got my iBook off ebay: 1ghz G4/512mb/CD Burner w/ DVD with Tiger installed and the original disks, manuals, cords and box for $599...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When did you get this G4 ibook for $599? When this thread was first posted, your machine would have been a LOT more expensive than what you paid. You did get a great deal on it thouogh with those specs.
QUOTE Thanks
Johnson

Johnson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP i5

Oh, I didn't notice the date, I just saw people replying.

Anyways, I just checked listings that were just added with a BIN hoping to find a good deal. And I did.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stupid questions about ibook-G3 processor, osx 10.2.8, and tiger | My 15" MBP is bing recalled! »