Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Help in deciding (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/15128-help-deciding.html)

StarDrifter 03-02-2005 05:07 AM

Help in deciding
 
Hi all!

I have been hunting for a new laptop for personal use. Been around and looked at all options - PC and Mac.

I really like the Powerbook's overall design, look and feel. Software I've heard is better than Windows XP, though I can't comment on that as I've been a windows user all my life. I am on XP Pro in my desktop PC and was thinking about getting the powerbook just to be different and to see what all the fuss was about.

However, I am in a bit of a dilemma. I saw the Sony Vaio machines with its new X-Brite technology in the LCD displays of their higher-end notebooks and they look stunning. It's sort of a smooth coating on the LCD panel that enhances brightness/clarity/sharpness. Sony is too overpriced however.

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices -

1. The Powerbook 15" 1.5Ghz or
2. The Toshiba M30 with CLV "clearview" LCD screen.

I consider the quailty of the LCD display pretty important since it's something you stare at for hours.

I need some people's opinions on what they think of the Powerbook's LCD display vs. the new clearview/x-brite displays on the new PC notebooks.

I have only looked at the powerbooks in store with a lot of ambient lighting so viewing conditions are far from ideal. However, it seems that the PC notebooks with the clearview LCD screens are less susceptible to looking washed out with lots of ambient lighting.

I wished apple had that technology on their powerbooks - I'd snap it up straight away without thinking.

Please help to decide...........

dtravis7 03-02-2005 05:26 AM

I got to work on a Spyware and Virus filled Sony with that x-brite and have to admit it looks very nice, and the machine worked great once I killed off literly hunderds of Spywares and around 78 Virus's! He was running it on DSL wide open with no Firewall, Antivirus nor even Spyware removal App.

From what I have seen of the Powerbooks, their display is very nice also, and OSX and the way the powerbooks work overall makes it the machine I would buy if I could afford a good laptop. I have not seen a flat panel Mac with a shabby looking display.

ApplejustWorks 03-02-2005 06:15 AM

In my experience with Apple Displays(23" Cinema HD, 17" iMac G5, 12" iBook) although I do agree that PC's appear brighter at first, in the end, the are relatively equal in brightness. In addition, I found all of Apple Displays to have FAR superior viewing angle than their PC Competitors.

And hey, even if the displays weren't ">=" what good does a better screen do for you on such an ugly OS?

StarDrifter 03-02-2005 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
In my experience with Apple Displays(23" Cinema HD, 17" iMac G5, 12" iBook) although I do agree that PC's appear brighter at first, in the end, the are relatively equal in brightness. In addition, I found all of Apple Displays to have FAR superior viewing angle than their PC Competitors.

And hey, even if the displays weren't ">=" what good does a better screen do for you on such an ugly OS?

I can't say how much/if OSX is better since I've never used it (hope it's not too difficult doing the transition from windows to mac) but I've personally never had a problem with WinXP Pro. Though I admit it is a magnet for spyware/adware, but I've always had virus checkers and firewall/adware programs turned on so I haven't had a problem with attacks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
though I do agree that PC's appear brighter at first, in the end, the are relatively equal in brightness.

Please explain further what you mean.

I just hope I don't regret it if I go with the powerbook decision. A friend of mine bought a PC notebook a year ago (no x-brite screen though) and complains about lack of brightness and viewing angle and prefers to use his desktop more often.

Must admit though that the powerbooks look like a professional a well-put together package. Unlike some PC notebooks that look like it's just been stashed together.

Kokopelli 03-02-2005 07:06 AM

At the risk of being vilified on a Mac forum, the x-brite screens are better than those in a powerbook. Powerbook screens are nice and look fine in most lighting conditions, just not as good a x-brite. I do not think you would have a problem with the display quality of either for prolonged use. Put them side by side though, and the M30 (if it is comparable to the Sony's) will look better.

Billys95 03-02-2005 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokopelli
At the risk of being vilified on a Mac forum, the x-brite screens are better than those in a powerbook. Powerbook screens are nice and look fine in most lighting conditions, just not as good a x-brite. I do not think you would have a problem with the display quality of either for prolonged use. Put them side by side though, and the M30 (if it is comparable to the Sony's) will look better.

I have to agree. I own a Sony with a 16.1" screen & must say it's screen is better that my powerbook's. However, after owning my powerbook (my 1st ever mac) for a week now, there isn't a contest which one I would now choose.......the powerbook all day long. It's an absolute joy to use, it just feels rite. GET ONE! :headphone

StarDrifter 03-02-2005 08:50 AM

Okay, so the Sony x-Brite's are better than Powerbook.

But if you had to rate it, how would you rate the Powerbook's LCD display vs. the Sony or Toshiba ---> Just comparing the displays disregarding the rest of the package and software.

thermidor 03-02-2005 10:14 AM

I can't help thinking that the quality of the screen is not particularly important compared to everything else going on here. I have a 17" Powerbook and the screen is great. Now, it may not be the very very best possible screen available, or in fact it may, for all I know.

But with the Powerbook I get a way better system than I would from a Windows PC - more reliable, more secure, more usable (ie productivity is much better). I'm not just saying that - I've been using Windows PCs since Windows first came out, and I've only just switched to the Mac this year, so I'm hardly prejudiced.

To me, this conversation is like comparing a 42" widescreen plasma TV to a black & white portable, but being worried that maybe the buttons on the remote are better on the portable than on the plasma.

No matter how good the darn screen is on the Windows PC, you're buying a fundamentally inferior piece of technology. Even if the screen on the PC were 3D holographic, the Mac would be a better system! Remember - reliable, secure, productive.

I have 2 computers on the desk in front of me right now: my Powerbook and my works WinXP laptop. I'd still be using the Mac even if the screen was black and white!

Billys95 03-02-2005 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarDrifter
Okay, so the Sony x-Brite's are better than Powerbook.

But if you had to rate it, how would you rate the Powerbook's LCD display vs. the Sony or Toshiba ---> Just comparing the displays disregarding the rest of the package and software.

Don't get me wrong there is absolutely nothing wrong with the display on my powerbook at all, it is still very good but the display on my Sony is excellent.

Personally I would give the Sony display 9/10 & the PB 7.5/10 but then as a computer I would give the Sony 7/10 & the PB 9.5/10

Like I said before, I would choose the powerbook everytime over the Sony. This computer is an absolute joy to use, I would 100% recommend getting the PB over the other laptops u mentioned. :cool:

MichaelSullivan 03-02-2005 11:50 AM

thermidor, clearly to stardrifter, the display IS important... thus its a valid point.


StarDrifter, I posted another thread along this same line here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/13971-powerbook-display-not-crisp-others.html

I've been using a sony vaio with xbrite for a long time now, and it's really going to blow when I change over to the PB screen. I did find a product that is supposed to sharpen contrast on a PB screen. it can be found here: http://www.powersupportusa.com/produ...hp?category=pb

No reviews to date on how it works. If I get it when I order my PB, I'll post a review.

StarDrifter 03-02-2005 12:04 PM

Okay, I've bitten the bullet and decided to place my order.

Ordered 15" Powerbook 1.5Ghz with combo drive (don't necessarily need the extra 0.17Ghz or the dvd burner on a laptop).

I hope I will enjoy using it as others in this forum.

That Crystal Film sounds good. Will you get it? Look forward to hearing your review. I'm in Australia so it will take some time to get here anyway when I place an order.

Billys95 03-02-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarDrifter
Okay, I've bitten the bullet and decided to place my order.

Ordered 15" Powerbook 1.5Ghz with combo drive (don't necessarily need the extra 0.17Ghz or the dvd burner on a laptop).

I hope I will enjoy using it as others in this forum.

That Crystal Film sounds good. Will you get it? Look forward to hearing your review. I'm in Australia so it will take some time to get here anyway when I place an order.

Congrats!!! Hope u like it as much as I like mine, I'm sure u will ;)

MichaelSullivan 03-02-2005 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarDrifter
Okay, I've bitten the bullet and decided to place my order.

Ordered 15" Powerbook 1.5Ghz with combo drive ....

That Crystal Film sounds good. Will you get it? Look forward to hearing your review. I'm in Australia so it will take some time to get here anyway when I place an order.

I just placed an order for the same specs. I am going to order the CF, along with a few other goodies. I'll post a review when I get them.

beret9987 03-02-2005 11:52 PM

Sounds good. Me being a PC user myself, tell me how it is. I'm looking for a replacement for my PC.

StarDrifter 03-03-2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan
I just placed an order for the same specs. I am going to order the CF, along with a few other goodies. I'll post a review when I get them.


Look forward to reading your review of the CF.

What other "goodies" are you ordering?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.