New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

batt. maintence - keep it on at all times? keep adapter on all time? whats do you do

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pkny

pkny is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.

uh i hava questioN: do you a) keep your battery on your pbook attached at all times.. or do you remove it when you're not using it

b) do you keep your adapter plugged into your pbook at all times or leave it off when not in use

another quest: is it bad to have your adapter and battery attached and plugged at all times (i leave the adapter on overnight) and have my pbk sleeping
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

I asked this same question when I got mine and I also researched it a lot.

What Apple says is that its best to be a commuter type. For example a commuter might use their powerbook on a train with no power adapter then plug it in when they get to work and on and off throughout the day.

Either way your battery does have a finite life, its good to drain it down all the way about once a month then charge it until 100% (this also recalibirates). But no dont use the power adapter constantly and dont use the battery constantly.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

from my experience if your going to need you PB plugged in for a couple of day remove the battery but yea try and keep a constant charge-discharge.

my battery on my pc laptop is nackered from not doing this!!
i used to leave mine plugged in for days with the battery attached and now im lucky to get 15mins from it
QUOTE Thanks
dkopp1961

So they are not Lithium Ion batteries in the new Powerbook G4? The issue of memory should not exist if is Lithium Ion from what I have read.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkopp1961
So they are not Lithium Ion batteries in the new Powerbook G4? The issue of memory should not exist if is Lithium Ion from what I have read.
They are LiIons, and it has nothing to do with the "memory effect."

LiIon batteries, like all batteries, eventually die. Certain types of use are harder on batteries than others. Also, the circuitry that monitors the charge in your battery must be calibrated so that the fuel gauge shows an accurate level.

Apple has some pages on proper battery maintenance at
http://www.apple.com/batteries/

For the most part, though, your battery will be essentially worthless after two years or so with moderate use. Sooner if you run off the battery every day; longer if you mainly use it at your desk.
QUOTE Thanks
dkopp1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
They are LiIons, and it has nothing to do with the "memory effect."

LiIon batteries, like all batteries, eventually die. Certain types of use are harder on batteries than others. Also, the circuitry that monitors the charge in your battery must be calibrated so that the fuel gauge shows an accurate level.

Apple has some pages on proper battery maintenance at
http://www.apple.com/batteries/

For the most part, though, your battery will be essentially worthless after two years or so with moderate use. Sooner if you run off the battery every day; longer if you mainly use it at your desk.
Thank you, good info. I knew that they were only good for a couple of years,
but had no idea how to extend life. I just ordered a new Powerbook and was unaware of the type of battery, now I feel better!
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

i hardly ever use my pb away from home so its always plugged in. take my advice and DO NOT do the same. now when i unplug my pb, the battery life is Significantly less than it used to be that plus my pb is almost a year old so the battery is getting close to the end of its useful life anyways. im going to be buying a replacement in the near future
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help fixing PB G3 | Newbie and Some Quick?'s »