New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - I want a mac laptop to develop for iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

myth0s

myth0s is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I want to start developing applications for iPhone. I quickly found out that I absolutely need a Mac to do so.

This is a great opportunity for me to finally buy that Mac I've been wanting for years, but I don't know what to chose. I have come to your forum for advice on what I should buy.

I need a Mac, preferably a laptop, that can support the iPhone SDK. I don't care about games or other stuff, I just want something that will get the job done and no more.

I'd like it to be lightweight if possible, so I can carry it around. I am also very open to buying a used or refurbished laptop. My primary concern is price. The cheaper, the better. Maybe a 1 year old Macbook Pro would do the job better than a refurbished MacBook, I'll trust your advice on this.

Considering my limited need (iPhone SDK support), what should I go for? MacBook, MacBook Pro, Used, Refurbished, what model?

Thank you very much for helping me stepping into the Mac world.

Alexandre
QUOTE Thanks
chaunce322

chaunce322 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HD

If you want to go for the cheapest one, a refurbished MacBook should work fine with the iPhone SDK.

Sean
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

This is the reason I made the switch and My MacBook 2.0 uni upgraded to 4gigs of ram handles everything I have thrown at it. Now to be honest none of the three apps I am working on require any video editing so that is something you may want to keep in mind.

But on the upside I have used it to capture and edit a lot of home movies and had no problems.

Good luck on your new venture.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
macfrik

macfrik is on a distinguished road

I use SDK in my old 17" MacBook Pro and it was great. You should be able to handle just fine using 13" Macbook. But if you have spare money, go opt for larger 15" screen. It's more convenient using SDK with larger screen.

Mac Specs:
2.93 15" MBP 8GB 256 SSD / 3.06 iMac 24" Early 2008 / iMac G4 1.25Ghz 2GB RAM / iPod touch 32GB 2nd gen / BB Bold.
QUOTE Thanks
myth0s

myth0s is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the replies. If anyone is keen enough to share any additional thoughts, I would gladly hear them.

I had a look at "officially" refurbished Mac by Apple. I can say that the price is quite daunting, for refurbished hardware. From 929 an up. I'm looking at this page: Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.K.)

Perhaps I'm not looking at the right place?

I have seen great price on both eBay and Gumtree. It seems like I could get away with a MacBook with ~2GHZ, 2GB ram and screen size of 13 or 15 for something between 400 and 500. That's the kind of price within my reach.

Indeed I could go for a 15", as it's easier of the eyes when you write code. But I could always connect an external monitor to the laptop. I have two 21" wide-screens on my desktop. Therefore, I'm more tempted by the smaller and lighter 13" mac book to which I can hook a bigger screen when I need it.

Again, thank you all.
QUOTE Thanks
macfrik

macfrik is on a distinguished road

eBay is probably the best place to get used 15" Macbook Pro that meets your budget. 2Ghz and 2Gb of ram is good enough to write a SDK program. That 15" MBP can be hooked up also with your 21" monitor. You should be ok. If you want to get a Macbook, get the white one for 719 pounds. Its brand new. But again, check eBay first. You may get it for less there.

Mac Specs:
2.93 15" MBP 8GB 256 SSD / 3.06 iMac 24" Early 2008 / iMac G4 1.25Ghz 2GB RAM / iPod touch 32GB 2nd gen / BB Bold.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 usb ports dont work | new macbook is scaring my children »