Question CD-RW DVD Drives for iBook?
    Is it possible to take out a generic CD drive from an iBook (G3 OR G4?) and replace it with a different one? Is that expensive? Would I save money just buying it with a write drive? I want to Write CDs and play DVDs, but I think the best I'd get is a DVD write drive...But I might just buy the iBook first, and wait for the extra money for a drive, but only if its inexpensive...^^ What do you think? I'll be buying from so people know what prices I'm looking at.

looking at 600+ (speed) models.

San Antonio, Texas
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    its fairly simple, and should be cheap enough. it also depends on how experienced you are with hardware. internal optical drives are pretty cheap online.

well, I know how to install a hard drive on a PC and I've helped take a PC apart before, so if I have a manual or online guide then thats not gonna be a problem.

I don't suppose you can switch a G3 processor for a G4 in an iBook could you? >P I'm so silly!

Forgive me if Im mistaken but doesn't the CD drive have to be of an expectable type otherwise the apple programs will not burn to it ?

As for the G3 to G4 ibook processor upgrade, it's not an option with the ibooks only with the power macs and some imacs. It would be nice but I think the processor is just soldered to the motherboard so making an upgrade card would be a bit tricky.

Thread Information