New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How many memory slots does the iBook have?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nadeem

I was checking out the Crucial site earlier and according to them the iBook only has one memory slot - is this correct? I wanted to put in another 512mb making 768 but seems I can't - can anyone clarify?
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

mine has 1. there is 256 built in and 1 expansion slot

QUOTE Thanks
nadeem

so you don't have to take out the 256mb ram that comes with the machine...?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can not take out the 256

There is one available slot where you can put a 128,256,516,or a 1gb stick into

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
nadeem

thanks again guys
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

The iBook has only one slot, plus 256MB (or 128MB for G3) soldered on the mainboard.
QUOTE Thanks
macman88

macman88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram

if you are considering upgrading go for the 512. i just put a 512 in after going to the u. of penn store and it increases the performance so much. i was going to get the 1gb but the guys there said that it would be going overboard. i think that everyone should upgrade to at least 512. there really was no problem with the 256 but using office 2004 was a little laggy.
QUOTE Thanks
nadeem

Does anyone know where the memory slots are located on the iBook - just ordered from Crucial...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Underneath the airport card.

You just lift up the keyboard (pull down the tabs next to the eject and esc keys, and turn the litte screw under the Num. key light halfway), unscrew the airport extreme card (if you have one installed) and remove the tray that holds the airport card...

Under there is the slot for the memory stick - insert memory at 45 angle and press down. It'll make a clicking sound and you'll be set!

Some users say they have to push down quite forcefully to get it to snap in - wasn't so hard on my book, but bear that in mind...

Oh and you'll need a miniature + (phillips) screwdriver to unscrew the airport tray... get one now so you can do the installation as soon as your memory arrives!
QUOTE Thanks
nadeem

Do you mean prise up the keyboard from the tab keys?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Erm... not sure what you mean...

Basically you have these two little plastic sliders in the top row of the keyboard.
When you slide them towards you, you can dig your fingernails underneath the tabs and lift up the keyboard...

You have to first release the 3rd latch though: It is located under the little light between the F5 & F6 keys. Turn it by a quarter and the latch should be released...
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i did my own too, it was quite easy. you will need a jewlers phillips head screw driver to unscrew the plate under the airport card.

on another note, does anyone have a digi cam that they can take pics of this process. i was thinking that we could post a how-to add memory and have it sticied to the top, or start a how-to section for the iBook.

QUOTE Thanks
nadeem

I can do the pics when I fit mine...that's assuming I do it properly...!
QUOTE Thanks
skippers

skippers is on a distinguished road

My ibook has 512mb of ram built in. If I was to insert 1gig more could my machine handle this?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippers View Post
My ibook has 512mb of ram built in. If I was to insert 1gig more could my machine handle this?
You have one of the last iBooks then that came with 512 Megs RAM. Same basic directions on removing the keyboard. Be careful with the keyboards ribbon cable.

There is one slow under a metal plate. You can add a 1GB for 1.5GB. I did that to my iBook G4 and it made a big difference as I am a heavy multi tasker.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo...Inch/RAM/83/4/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Whats it worth | MAT****A DVD-R UJ-857 on a MacBook »