New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Installing a new harddrive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chase123

chase123 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,

So I just bought a mac and Im new to the mac OS. I bought an aluminum macbook and I'm really liking how great it is, it starts in seconds when I open the lid and its so quiet, but I'd really like to have some more space on it.

I was looking at tigerdirect.ca and wanted to know if anyone can suggest a good harddrive that will work with the macbook so that it is just as fast/quiet as the original harddrive. I can't figure out to go with 5400 or 7200, does it really make a difference? I can't seem to find a 500gig HD that runs at 7200, and do the higher speeds cause more heat/sound?

Here's the main link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2676&name=2.5-SATA-Drive&Nav=|c:1277|&Sort=0&Recs=10

These were the top ones I was considering:
-Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 320GB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
-Seagate Momentus 5400.6 ST9500325AS Mobile Hard Drive - 500GB, 2.5", 5400RPM, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM
-Western Digital Scorpio WD5000BEVT Mobile Hard Drive - 500GB, 2.5", 5400RPM, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Also, I've found tons of links on how to physically do the swap, but are there any links on how I load the mac OS on a new harddrive? formatting, etc?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
egomez

egomez is on a distinguished road

hey Chase

I got the Scorpio 500GB and it runs flawlessly on the unibody macbook. Installation is a breeze!

Completely silent and havent noticed any down performance from the original 160GB.

After you do the hard drive installation just load in the OS X DVD , power up the macbook and keep the command button pressed until you see that you can choose to boot up from the DVD, after that is quite simple next,next,next.

You need to set up a GUID partition table and format the Hard drive in the OS X Filsystem.

And you are set to go!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Use Powerbook G4 Al without display attached. | MacBook White »