New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

AppleCare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

saus_mo

I'am just wondering how many of you would see AppleCare as an essential purchase as when the time comes for me to buy my powerbook so i wont have much money, but if its worth it im willing to shell out a lil bit more.

many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I would highly recommend it for a notebook. They are prone to having more issues than a desktop. Even if you only use it once in the 3 years you've more than paid for it. You won't be sorry having it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

I agree with Schweb but I'll also add that if you have any screens (monitors) you might also want it for the sole purpose that the monitor will cost anywhere from $500-$1000 to fix out-of-pocket whereas the Applecare warranty will fix it for free.

In this day and age of technology, nothing is guaranteed to work for a specified length of time, regardless of the company making the product. For a couple hundred dollars now, you can insure that you won't have to pay to get your item fixed if something (within the warranty) were to go wrong.

Just my 2 cents, and no I don't get paid for this advertising, I'm just a happy customer.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
Insimbi

I'm getting a PowerBook soon but don't have enough for AppleCare. Can't I buy AppleCare before my first year is up? The first year is covered am I right?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, as long as you buy it during the first year, you're fine.

QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Hmmn.... I disagree here. I've owned four laptops over the last ten years, and none have been made at the high quality level of a ibm or mac, yet none have needed additional coverage. Apple's defect per million is one of the lowest of all vendors, making applecare needed less than if your purchasing another kind. My .02 cents.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

I think the point isn't that we're saying it's likely to break, just that it's more likely to happen on a portable vs a desktop. Not to mention, the cost of one repair if something were to happen on a notebook is easily twice to triple the cost at least of Applecare.

Personally on the cost of Applecare vs cost of potential repair ratio, I think it's worth it.

QUOTE Thanks
kingcrowing2

Well, for the little extra money, i'd say buy it... if you decide to sell it before the plan is up, that will grately increast the resale value, and if something does break, it will pay for itself...
QUOTE Thanks
mdavis71

mdavis71 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook

Does applecare cover the batteries?
QUOTE Thanks
SamR

Normally I never buy extended warranties, but unfortunately for a Powerbook I would reccomend the AppleCare because essentially they're not made of high quality and you'll need it at least once in the 3 years of the warranty. I've had $1000 worth of repair done to my then 4month old powerbook and can only imagine what will happen in 3 years. Basically I see it as being cornered into buying AppleCare for a Powerbook because they're incredibly problem-proned.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I'd say, use the following formula:

(Estmiated cost of repair) * (Likelihood of failure) vs. (cost of warranty)

Since laptop repairs tend to be expensive, and fairly common, an extended warranty is not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamR
Normally I never buy extended warranties, but unfortunately for a Powerbook I would reccomend the AppleCare because essentially they're not made of high quality and you'll need it at least once in the 3 years of the warranty. I've had $1000 worth of repair done to my then 4month old powerbook and can only imagine what will happen in 3 years. Basically I see it as being cornered into buying AppleCare for a Powerbook because they're incredibly problem-proned.
Sounds like you're justifiably pissed because you had some bad luck. Your experiences are not typical.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1626236,00.asp
Your mileage may vary.
QUOTE Thanks
SamR

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
Sounds like you're justifiably pissed because you had some bad luck. Your experiences are not typical.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1626236,00.asp
Your mileage may vary.
Good read, looks like Toshiba knows how to take care of customers. Apple would not talk to me to even help troubleshoot my problem 2 DAYS after my warranty expired (the 30day one) They said basically deal with it or pay us $50 MORE to even try and troubleshoot the problem. Not to mention you can only call Apple between 8-4 or something ridiculous like that.
QUOTE Thanks
saus_mo

Hey thanks for the feedback,

From what I can see its definately a worthy purchase and even if i dont need it, it will be nice knowing it there just in case things take a turn for the worse.

Thanks for all your help guys. Cant wait to make the switch <thumbs up to ya'all>
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamR
Good read, looks like Toshiba knows how to take care of customers. Apple would not talk to me to even help troubleshoot my problem 2 DAYS after my warranty expired (the 30day one) They said basically deal with it or pay us $50 MORE to even try and troubleshoot the problem. Not to mention you can only call Apple between 8-4 or something ridiculous like that.
Your initial warranty (sans Applecare purchase) covers 90 days free technical phone support and 1 year technical support via mail/store/remote visit. Once you purchase the Applecare then your phone support is extended from 90 days to 3 years (laptops, iMacs, eMacs, PowerMacs) and the mail/store/remote is extended from 1 year to 3 years.

Just to clarify, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
SamR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry88
Your initial warranty (sans Applecare purchase) covers 90 days free technical phone support and 1 year technical support via mail/store/remote visit. Once you purchase the Applecare then your phone support is extended from 90 days to 3 years (laptops, iMacs, eMacs, PowerMacs) and the mail/store/remote is extended from 1 year to 3 years.

Just to clarify, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
Sorry, you're right, it was 2 days after my 90 day phone support warranty. Thought that sounded a little too short.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Prospective owner with serious question | i could have gotten 2 pbooks for the price of one!!!! »