New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

OS 10.3 - Freezing at install screen on Powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hi. After deciding that my Powerbook wasn't going to let me reinstall Leopard, I purchased some official Powerbook Software Install and Restore discs. They are the correct ones for my 12" Powerbook G4.
Now, when I boot to the disc, it gets to the "choose English as main language" screen, but no amount of clicking on the continue button produces anything, and I have to plug in a mouse to move the cursor, as the trackpad isn't working during the attempted install.
I have zapped PRAM, and reset nvram, checked the HD which is fine, and the HD is completely clean anyway, as I erased and reformatted it in disc utility.
Can anyone give me some ideas as to why this may be happening?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

No answers? Could it be the Superdrive at fault, as the HD checks out, and I did install Leopard on it under a GUID partition no problem.
If it's not able to read discs I guess it can't load.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Hi. My Powerbook won't let me install from it's superdrive, and so I have no OS on it at the moment. If I connect and external reader/burner via firewire or USB, will I be able to use it to boot to a disc and install? Thanks, Kev.

QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Yes, an external FireWire drive will work (but not USB). Hold the Alt/Option as the computer boots then select the external drive.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Cool, thanks. Cheaper than buying and replacing a superdrive!

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Ok, thread 3 along similar lines, but no answers yet, so....

My recently purchased used Powerbook G4 will not allow me to install software onto it, so I was hoping someone can throw some light on things for me.

Symptoms:

Installing from Powerbook back up discs or Leopard generic disc it just freezes at the choose language page, and the trackpad doesn't work. Plugging a mouse in lets me move the cursor, but the continue button will not highlight or click.
It came with Leopard installed and working, but I wanted a clean install. Wish I hadn't bothered!

What I've done so far:

Reset nvram, zapped PRAM. Run disc utility in target disc mode and the HD seems to check out, and I installed Leopard on a GUID partition ok, but that won't let me use it on the Powerbook. Got a firewire disc reader, because I thought the Superdrive was at fault, but that made no difference at all.
One thing I notice though. The figures for available space on the HD (as shown in Disc Utility) are different by 1 bit. What I mean is you get a named HD and the Macintosh HD to look at, that's where there's a difference.

So.. is it possible that although it shows as OK, the HD could be knackered?
Is it easy to replace (12" powerbook)?
Could I get a firewire HD and run Leopard on a GUID partition on to the Powerbook?

Please, please help with this, it's doing my nut in!

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

There is also the possibility that the discs are the problem.
They could be part of why the computer keeps locking up.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Ok. But 2 sets of Powerbook restore discs and a Leopard disc too?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Ok. But 2 sets of Powerbook restore discs and a Leopard disc too?
You didn't mention that in this thread.
You only stated that you attempted to use the set of PowerBook restore discs.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
You didn't mention that in this thread.
You only stated that you attempted to use the set of PowerBook restore discs.
Oops, my bad, sorry!
Nevertheless, any suggestions about using a firewire external HD?

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Bump!
Can I install Leopard on a GUID partitioned HD from my iMac, and then use it on my Pwerbook?

QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

I realise you may not have the kit, but I would check the Powerbooks ability to take the install by using a Tiger or Leopard installer on an external FW drive. If you still cannot install from the external drive it won't be an issue with the SD. These days I always install from an external drive unless having to use machine specific DVD sets, its so much quicker. You can setup the installer HD with another working PPC mac, the install DVD and Disk Utility.

If you ever need to replace the HD on a 12" Powerbook, it has the worst possible access.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Remember there are many models of PowerBooks and system restore discs are suitable for the model they came with normally. They have blockers built in which prevents installing on machines of even slightly different specifications.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Even if it says 12" Powerbook restore on them? So if they are from a 800 MHZ model they won't work on a 1.5 MHZ model? That's ridiculous if so!

Another idea then. Could I make a disc image of the Leopard disc on my iMac and then install on the Powerbook using target disc mode? This would alleviate the possibility of the disc being a problem.

QUOTE Thanks
powermac G5

powermac G5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: *27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Even if it says 12" Powerbook restore on them? So if they are from a 800 MHZ model they won't work on a 1.5 MHZ model? That's ridiculous if so!

Another idea then. Could I make a disc image of the Leopard disc on my iMac and then install on the Powerbook using target disc mode? This would alleviate the possibility of the disc being a problem.
Funny I was reading through the above posted threads, and upon reaching the final, you nearly took the words out of my mouth. First GUID partition table is for intel, you will need to partion the G4 under apple partion map. Second Start G4 in target connect to imac via firewire, G4 should show in finder of imac as firewire removable device. Insert 10.5 into imac double click DVD image, after language, select destination drive and erase reinstall under apple partition map. This will work for sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DDR2 or DDR3 memory upgrade | Is there a website to check battery history? »