New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

900mhz G3 vs Intel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msett

I just bought a new ibook, my first mac ever. I currently own a gateway P4 1.6 ghz laptop. I heard that a 900mhz G3 is not equal to pentium 900mhz, the G3 is faster. Is this true? What would my 900mhz mac be equal to?
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by msett
I just bought a new ibook, my first mac ever. I currently own a gateway P4 1.6 ghz laptop. I heard that a 900mhz G3 is not equal to pentium 900mhz, the G3 is faster. Is this true? What would my 900mhz mac be equal to?
Matt
There really is no standard conversion factor. The two machines vary in so many respects (both hardware and software) that a comparison is extremely difficult. But seeing as you just purchased an iBook, I think you'll soon discover that it's an extremely capable machine.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
msett

Anyone?
BUMP
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

we dont really bump in this forum and theres a reason that nobody has replied its because there really is no conversion rate between pentiums and g3-5 processors
QUOTE Thanks
msett

Okie dokie. Is there even like a little estimate on what you could compare it to?
Just Wondering,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

I wish there was a conversion rate for this. Unfortunetly, there is not. If you want my $.02, I'd say it like this : A Mac is an experience. Sure the clock cycles matter, but in what regard? Are you going to play games alot? If so, then maybe a higher end Mac would be needed. Are you going to use Word, or surf the net most of the time? Then ANY Mac will do. There really is no comparison when it comes down to it.

The ultimate thing about Macs, that I feel is better than PC's, is the experience, and the stability. My Mac rarely crashes, and my work PC bluescreens on a daily basis. My Mac is absolutely gorgeous to look at, and my many PC's are very bland, and ugly. My Mac performs the way I need it to, to get the stuff that I need to get done, done.

So in conclusion, to me it is more of a "Personal" conversion rate than a clock cycle converstion rate. Of course the faster the machine you can afford, with as much RAM as you can get in it won't hurt either.

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
LuniX

Quote:
Originally Posted by msett
Matt
Lets put it this way your G3 wont be much faster than a 900 Mhz doing simpel things, but once you get to power applications your performace will be much better than a PIII. If you want benchmarks (comparisons charts) go to www.barefeats.com
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniX
Lets put it this way your G3 wont be much faster than a 900 Mhz doing simpel things, but once you get to power applications your performace will be much better than a PIII. If you want benchmarks (comparisons charts) go to www.barefeats.com
Perhaps, perhaps, but definitely not a Pentium 4, which msett happens to have.
QUOTE Thanks
LuniX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblade
Perhaps, perhaps, but definitely not a Pentium 4, which msett happens to have.
Oh i didn't know that , well a 900Mhz G3 vs a P4 at least 1.5 isn't fair though a Pentium in a laptop (witch i'n not shure is the one in question) uses a lot of Watts. Long Pipelines.

Still very nice iBook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scrambled Screen Signal... | Third Hard Drive Failure In 2 Months Omg Fun. »