New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PC User - Getting a PowerBook 12"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Insimbi

I've wanted a Mac for a long time in addition to my PC. I have decided to purchase a PowerBook (the older model - 1.33Ghz/256MB RAM) as opposed to the newer 1.5Ghz/512MB. I can get the older one for cheaper and it's all I can afford right now.

I just wanted to know if this is a good notebook and one that I will be happy with. It will mostly be used for surfing the net, email, IM, DVD's and iMovie, etc. I wish it had the backlit keys like the 15 and 17" models but those are way too expensive for me.

Does the 12" sound like a pretty decent notebook for my needs? I have heard they can get pretty hot - is that true? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :black:
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

that will be good for what you need. Id suggest more ram when you can do it. but for basic stuff like you mentioned, 512 will be fine. yea, the ibooks and powerbooks can get pretty hot when running intense activities and apps for extended times, but for what youll be doing, it shouldnt be a huge problem.
QUOTE Thanks
titan0111

Instead of getting PB 12", why don't you get iBook 12" and max out RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

I just bought a new 12" 2 weeks ago for the same types of uses and it works wonderfully for all of it
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

the brightness of the screen was increased in the 1.5ghz + models. I think its enough of a difference to consider them, especially when the 1.67s came out and drove prices down.
QUOTE Thanks
Insimbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan
the brightness of the screen was increased in the 1.5ghz + models. I think its enough of a difference to consider them, especially when the 1.67s came out and drove prices down.
The one I am looking at is the 1.33Ghz - so does that not have a good screen?
QUOTE Thanks
Insimbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
I just bought a new 12" 2 weeks ago for the same types of uses and it works wonderfully for all of it
Sweet - did you get the 1.33Ghz or the 1.5?
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insimbi
Sweet - did you get the 1.33Ghz or the 1.5?
1.5 with superdrive. I have the standard 512mb, and would definitely upgrade immediately from 256mb asap!
QUOTE Thanks
kingcrowing2

Well, i bought a 867Mhz powerbook 12", and it only has 128MB RAM (i'm planning on upgrading to 640MB soon) and for ichat, safari, and mail (all at the same time) it runs really well! i can't wait to see what a differnce the RAM will make, but a 1.33Ghz will be really fast! i'm sure your going to love it!
QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

I used PC laptops for many years. My biggest rave is to get "Sidetrack". This enhances your trackpad to give it customizable scrolling and tapping areas like PC laptops have. There isn't currently a version of Sidetrack available for the new Powerbooks, so you are in luck.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Quote:
The one I am looking at is the 1.33Ghz - so does that not have a good screen?
the screen is fine, but if you place a 1.33 beside a 1.5, you'll notice that the newer models are much brighter. To some people, this isn't a big deal, though to me it was enough. Pop by a local shop and see if they have both in stock. my local comp-usa had both versions available, side by side. The difference was pretty noticible.
QUOTE Thanks
Insimbi

I've asked CompUSA and called Apple directly and no one knows anything about any difference in the screen. The only changes they said are the RAM, HD, and motion sensor on the 1.5. They seem to think the screens are the same on the 1.33Ghz and 1.5. I can't find anywhere to see them side by side. Help.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

the screens, real estate/what you actually see wise should be very close to the same, then depending on video ram and graphics card, you could easily adjust screen resolution to get the same size basically.
QUOTE Thanks
Insimbi

Doh! I can't decide whether to get the 12" 1.33 or 1.5 - I can get the 1.33 for over $200 less. It is worth it to get the 1.5? I can't decide and am low on fundage.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Quote:
I've asked CompUSA and called Apple directly and no one knows anything about any difference in the screen. The only changes they said are the RAM, HD, and motion sensor on the 1.5. They seem to think the screens are the same on the 1.33Ghz and 1.5. I can't find anywhere to see them side by side. Help.
I read the article at pbfixit.
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...50208003927376

they had many reports of newer 1.5/ 1.67 pbs with brigher screens and slower trackpads.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two Finger Scrolling with an iBook | Mouse button clunky? »