New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Pocket PC on powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mdavis71

mdavis71 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook

I just bought me a new PocketPC and my computer recoginzing it over blue tooth but what do I need to sync it up? will it let me sync with iCal and address book?? I seen where Mod Schweb uses pocketpc what program do you use?

thanks
matt
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I have not use it, or even looked at it, but you might want to look at Apple's iSync.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I know of two products, PocketMac and Mising Sync, but have not used either. You can read about both by searching on Versiontracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/)
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

I have a HP PocketPC hx4700 that I sync with my PowerBook and iMac using the PocketMac Pro software. It integrates nicely between the PocketPC and the iMac. It also isn't as troublesome as ActiveSync can be. I would suggest downloading the trial of PocketMacPro and MissingSync and try them first before buying.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis71
I just bought me a new PocketPC and my computer recoginzing it over blue tooth but what do I need to sync it up? will it let me sync with iCal and address book?? I seen where Mod Schweb uses pocketpc what program do you use?

thanks
matt

i use missig sync and have never encountered a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Papadelta

I just bought a imatte PDA2k and spent 2 days reading all I could about both the Pocketmac and Missing Sync. There were a number of comparisons made. The interesting thing is that people either loved one or the other. They were not ambivolent about it at all. I chose the Pocketmac. A few minor problems syncing the first time, but their on line help desk responded to my problems and within 18 hours (including sleeping) I was up and running. The syncing process seems quite a bit slower than my old Treo, and I think it syncs all the files instead of seeing what has changed. Like most PC based systems it doesn't know the work "simplicity" which we have learned to love in our macs. If you google "pocketmac, missing sync, compare" you get most off the reviews.
QUOTE Thanks
thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

I have a Pocket PC and I use PocketMac. I have to say, I've not been entirely chuffed with it. Because:

- the sync process takes a very long time indeed
- it's pretty dumb - for example, when it syncs files, it appears to just copy everything across, rather than just syncing the changed blocks or even the changed files
- because it is heavy-handed with the syncing, I seem to run into problems when I also sync the same device with a PC using ActiveSync - sometimes I end up with duplicates, even once with a completely duplicated calendar
- sometimes it grinds to a halt in the middle of syncing
- it once corrupted my Calendar - had to delete it all and start again

So, all in all, I'd say it's not perfect. I wanted to try Missing Sync, but they don't have a trial, and I didn't want to spend out on it only to find it was no better than PocketMac.

I keep hoping they'll release a new version which works more like ActiveSync. It's the first application I've found on the Mac which seems inferior to its Windows equivalent.

David
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help choosing options | battery problems »