New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro Battery Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nagglfar

Nagglfar is on a distinguished road

I'm having issues when using my Macbook pro. It will sometimes just turn off completely at random times. I was thinking it was the battery, maybe it needs to be replaced? I've had the computer turn off at 89%, 39% and 77% battery life. Of course, when the ac adapter is plugged in.. this does not occur. Do you think a dead battery cell may be the case? Even when precautions are taken to increase battery life (decreased screen brightness, less volume, airport off).. it still turns off.

I've had this laptop for over a year.. got it january 2008, with os x tiger.

Think the battery needs replaced?
QUOTE Thanks
Ipwnwindows

Ipwnwindows is an unknown at this point

have you tried taking the battery out and putting it back in? sometimes they get put in wrong and don't make full contact so they shut off when bumped slightly. Just had it happen to my dads laptop lol.
QUOTE Thanks
Nagglfar

Nagglfar is on a distinguished road

Yeah I've done that a few times. There has been times where it just shuts off completely and when you flip the laptop to see the bottom battery indicator it shows like 3 green lights, which should still be enough power to run off the battery. Sometimes it's only one green light (which probably means it needs recharged). I've kept it in good condition, so I dont know why it's doing this. Does it on windows too when I boot.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a bad connection to me. You could try blowing some compressed air over the contacts on both the battery and where it touches the computer's nodes. If that doesn't fix it I think you should take it to Apple.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat Preferences = NO TABS! | XP with Boot Camp and MBP video cards »