New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Replacement wall adapter for magsafe charger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

efuggetta

efuggetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0/4GB/500

I lost the little piece that changes the magsafe charger from a 3-prong into a 2-prong. I really need it!! Can I buy I new one or do I need a whole new charger? I looked all over the internet and couldn't find it, but I could have missed it.
QUOTE Thanks
rgt168

rgt168 is on a distinguished road

if it is that little corner piece, I thought I saw some on eBay. They were sold separately. You might there under macbook chargers.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

If you want a cheap solution, standard power extension cords can be plugged into the two prongs on the Apple power bricks just fine. The plug is so ubiquitous that I don't even recall the name, but you might even have one lying around your house (especially if you've bought any electronics with a power brick). The connection on the Apple adapter is the same one shown here, and can be plugged into a 2-prong outlet with a cable such as this one.
QUOTE Thanks
SimonJester

SimonJester is on a distinguished road

If I'm interpreting the question correctly, do you need one of these?

"Grounding Adapters" are cheap (2/$5, there), and you can get them at any hardware store or Radio Shack, etc. that you may have nearby. just stick that onto the extension cable that came with your charger.
Given, that ground pin is there for a reason, but if you must use one, they're not hard to find.
---------------
If you don't have that 3' extension cable (plugs into the corner in place of the AC plug), I'd be willing to part with one of mine as I have a spare from a replacement charger.
If you want it, send me a PM or something.
QUOTE Thanks
efuggetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
If you want a cheap solution, standard power extension cords can be plugged into the two prongs on the Apple power bricks just fine. The plug is so ubiquitous that I don't even recall the name, but you might even have one lying around your house (especially if you've bought any electronics with a power brick). The connection on the Apple adapter is the same one shown here, and can be plugged into a 2-prong outlet with a cable such as this one.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think either of those will help me.
QUOTE Thanks
efuggetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJester View Post
If I'm interpreting the question correctly, do you need one of these?

"Grounding Adapters" are cheap (2/$5, there), and you can get them at any hardware store or Radio Shack, etc. that you may have nearby. just stick that onto the extension cable that came with your charger.
Given, that ground pin is there for a reason, but if you must use one, they're not hard to find.
---------------
If you don't have that 3' extension cable (plugs into the corner in place of the AC plug), I'd be willing to part with one of mine as I have a spare from a replacement charger.
If you want it, send me a PM or something.
That would work. I'll pick one of those up. But I'd really like to get the original piece. I guess I'll just have to get a new Magsafe.

And thanks for the offer! That's nice of you That's the part I do have, though.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

Are you missing the brick + cord that goes to your mac, or the part that plugs into the brick and goes to the wall? If it's the former you'll need a new magsafe. If it's the latter, my solution will work fine for you.
QUOTE Thanks
SimonJester

I was referring to the little corner piece with the flip-out AC prongs.

My replacement cord came with one that I have sitting in a little box in my desk. If you need one, I'd be willing to send it your way.
It would be a shame to buy a whole mag safe cord (for about $60), when I've got one handy.
I use the plastibook charger (65 watt, I think), but I think they're all the same size if you're using a MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Like already said, you can find the little corner part with the prongs on eBay.
QUOTE Thanks
efuggetta

SimonJester,

Oh! That would be really amazing. I could send you money via paypal for shipping and whatever you think it's worth.

Emily
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

Ok, I was just saying you dont need the specific Apple part to plug in the adapter. You can just get a $3 cable from RadioShack/Walmart/anywhere that sells even basic electronics and it does the exact same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
SimonJester

For the iBook, sure... but the MagSafe parts are Apple-only. You could wedge a replacement cable into the connection... but whether or not it's a very secure connection isn't as sure. I'd rather use OEM parts for my computer, considering the investment behind it.

Anyway, postage for this little piece is less than a paypal fee and the hassle involved, it's less than a buck to send it USPS, so nothing to worry about. Just PM me where to send it, and I'll stick it in the mail... Given, it may be a few days, late in the week and cross country to boot.

Just to be sure, it is this one, right?
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJester View Post
For the iBook, sure... but the MagSafe parts are Apple-only. You could wedge a replacement cable into the connection... but whether or not it's a very secure connection isn't as sure.
Err... the Magsafe adapter has 2 elements to it. The brick + magsafe cable which is Apple proprietary, and the connecting piece which uses a standard electrical port. It's perfectly secure. A cable is a cable, and mains frequency/voltage/amperage isn't affected by a cable. The connection between the nodes is arguably even more secure than that of Apple's "corner" piece, especially depending on how you orient the brick when you plug it into the wall. It doesn't matter if you have an iBook, a Powerbook G4, or a Macbook Pro- it's the same connection.

As far as I can tell the only real reason to buy a new "corner" plug is cosmetic. Plugging the brick in directly has no ground and is not anywhere close to what I'd call space-efficient.
QUOTE Thanks
SimonJester

Hence why I just use the 3' extension that came with the charger. Apparently they stopped doing that, because a lot of folks I've talked to never received an extension with their computer. The replacement chargers never had them included, but why they stopped shipping them with new machines is beyond me.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I had to get my Magsafe adapter replaced just a few weeks ago and the new replacement they pulled off the wall had both the brick and the extension inside. So I'm fairly certain you still get the extension when you buy a Magsafe adapter itself, not sure about whether or not it comes with new Macs.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook 1.67 GHZ G4 & Photoshop | New uMBP screen »