New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Question about switching from PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ericmccllgh2

ericmccllgh2 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the boards and Im wanting to switch from a PC to a Macbook but had some questions on the hardware. I have a windows PC with a Core 2 Duo processor 1.83GHz FSB 667 MHz and 3 GB of DDR2 memory. I am looking at buying a cheap new/used macbook white or find a unibody macbook on eBay. The question i have is I will need this Mac to run me through college so I dont want a unit that will be worse than what I already have. I want a fast Mac.
Also, what kind of performance difference does the increase to 1066MHz FSB on the new macbooks have over the older 667MHz macbooks? Will it be noticeable to a casual user?
Lastly, is the unibody macbook worth the extra money? I know it has a better graphics card and screen but is it worth the money for a starving college kid? Thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

just set a budget and see what you can get with it. The unibody and new white (2009) macbooks are better, especially with the graphics card, but its down to what you can afford

Have you tried getting education discount on the new white macbook? Also check out the apple refurb store

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

What are you going to be using it for?

Student Discount - Apple Store (U.S.)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
ericmccllgh2

ericmccllgh2 is on a distinguished road

I looked at the student discount and my college, Illinois Wesleyan, isnt supported. Id love to find a refurb or used macbook on eBay. Any ideas on that?

Ill be using the Mac for iTunes, surfing, MS Office and school work. I dont plan on using the graphic intense apps but it'd be nice to know I could if needed.

PS, do the new macbook whites have the same graphics card as the unibody? Are the differences just faster RAM and 40 GB HDD space?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

odd that your college isn't supported, have you tried phoning Apple?

Anyways, there is not much spec difference between the 2009 white and unibody MacBooks, both have the better graphics processor, the main difference is that the white macbooks still have a Firewire port

Keep an eye on the Apple refurb site, its basically a new mac and still comes with the full warranty

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmccllgh2 View Post
I looked at the student discount and my college, Illinois Wesleyan, isnt supported.
Your school is indeed listed here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Tofuik

Tofuik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!

IMO the white macbooks are a great deal since the revision. (plus you get a style thats been out for a while unlike the unibodys which still have a few kinks)

And firewire is awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
pfstark

pfstark is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24"

I would suggest going to the Apple store somewhere nearby and just picking up the different models. You can get a feel for if you would rather live with the white or unibody model.

Personally, I like the ruggedness of the unibody design and feel that getting a refurbished model is well worth it. I have bought refurbished in the past and had no problems.

Plus consider your timing. This is mid product cycle for the current macbooks. If you can wait you could try to pick them up cheap when the new products are released. Just keep your eyes peeled for when that is.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I sold my PowerBook - Buyer unable to charge battery | PowerBook Keys (occasionally) not working »