New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

17" PB - Is it worth the money?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

excon

Hi, I am looking for a new laptop/portable for using on a digital imaging and photography course at uni. The new 17" powerbook looks very nice, although I haven't ever used one before.

My question is how good is the actual performance in terms of Photoshop/large graphics work? For a lot less than the powerbook I can get a 64-bit AMD laptop and I would like to know how they compare, and if there are any major strengths of using macs for graphics.

Thanks a lot
QUOTE Thanks
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

I have a 17 powerbook and i love it... if mac wasnt the way to go for graphics they wouldnt use them in hollywood... just go to your local apple store and check these things out... Plus I bet that 64 bit amd laptop would be like 2.5 inches thick... thats not portable! Just know that macs are far more superior when it comes to graphics 'in my eyes they are superior in every aspect' Hope this helps! :cool:

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

go with the 17" if you will be doing alot of heavy photoshop and video editing work. while it is expensive, the size and performance is second to none. if screen size isn't that much of an issue, go with a smaller size (15" or 12") and you'll save some money in the process.
QUOTE Thanks
SamR

If you're worried at all about portability I would go with the 15". The screen size is plenty big and it's perfect for sitting in your lap and the 17" is massive if you see one. However if you'd be at a desk a lot with it or it doesn't matter as much then go with the 17.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

IMO id go for the new 15" and turn the options up to match the 17"
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM

My buddy has the 17", and it is massive, of course it is way smaller than most PC 17" laptops, its still quite big, wont fit in a normal backpack. I would personally go with the 15" model, it can still fit quite a bit of information on the screen. The machine is ridiculously fast, but get at minimum 1 gig of Ram, my buddy has 2 gigs and it screams. I have a 1.2 Ghz ibook with 768 RAM and it is super fast as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook keyboard mod | dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! »