New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery life...case...heat...plastic vs. aluminum?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fvsurfer

fvsurfer is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB hard drive

I've had my Macbook since 3/11 and it seems like the battery life fluctuates. Is this normal? Does my Macbook case trap the heat and my keyboard cover, which therefore decreases my battery life? Are the plastic Macbooks not as good as the new uni-body ones when it comes to heat flow and battery life?
QUOTE Thanks
len0475

len0475 is on a distinguished road

Describe in details what you mean by "fluctuate" please.

My MacBook fluctuates in battery life also depending on what I'm doing.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by len0475 View Post
Describe in details what you mean by "fluctuate" please.

My MacBook fluctuates in battery life also depending on what I'm doing.
Watching something online versus being on a website. I always see my battery time going up and down. Aren't Macbooks supposed to have a battery life of 4-5 from a full charge? It seems like it starts in the 3 range...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The fluctuation of reported battery time remaining is normal.

This is an estimated time and is derived from what you are currently doing and the processes which are running.

The more processor and graphics intensive the application(s) you are using, the faster the battery charge will be consumed.

You can't expect the same battery life while watching video or playing a game as you might achieve while working with a text document.

Having airport and/or bluetooth running will use the battery faster than having them turned off.

Etc.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

What bobtomay said + most of those battery life tests/reports are done with the most miserly settings to stretch the runtime. ie: reduced brightness, doing non-processor intensive operations, wifi and/or bluetooth off.

Here's a good faq you might want to check out:

What is the MacBook battery life in "real-world" tests? How does the battery life of different MacBook models compare to one another? @ EveryMac.com

in the first real paragraph of the article, it mentions that using wifi drops the average battery life considerably.

You're watching something online is using battery fast on two levels - processor work to display a video (data streamed in has to be assembled and displayed as a video) and your network connection (assumed to be wifi).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The fluctuation of reported battery time remaining is normal.

This is an estimated time and is derived from what you are currently doing and the processes which are running.

The more processor and graphics intensive the application(s) you are using, the faster the battery charge will be consumed.

You can't expect the same battery life while watching video or playing a game as you might achieve while working with a text document.

Having airport and/or bluetooth running will use the battery faster than having them turned off.

Etc.
Fair enough.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
What bobtomay said + most of those battery life tests/reports are done with the most miserly settings to stretch the runtime. ie: reduced brightness, doing non-processor intensive operations, wifi and/or bluetooth off.

Here's a good faq you might want to check out:

What is the MacBook battery life in "real-world" tests? How does the battery life of different MacBook models compare to one another? @ EveryMac.com

in the first real paragraph of the article, it mentions that using wifi drops the average battery life considerably.

You're watching something online is using battery fast on two levels - processor work to display a video (data streamed in has to be assembled and displayed as a video) and your network connection (assumed to be wifi).
Thank you for the link.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Do any of you hate the battery life from a full charge? What has Apple done in the past up until now with this situation? Do you know if there are going to be positive changes with this in the near future?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If you're unhappy with the battery life of your MacBook, buy the latest 17" MacBook Pro unibody with the new non removable battery which Apple says lasts 8 hours..... Link

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Yea...because Apple notebooks have crap battery life compared to the majority of other brands. I suggest you sort out your charge and discharge cycle and stop posting hate threads which are completely pointless.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvsurfer View Post
Do any of you hate the battery life from a full charge? What has Apple done in the past up until now with this situation? Do you know if there are going to be positive changes with this in the near future?
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The two Apple notebooks I've owned have both had comparable or longer battery lives than the notebooks of pretty much everyone else with whom I work. Maybe you should try turning off features you know you won't use, like Bluetooth or even Airport if you don't need the Internet.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
Yea...because Apple notebooks have crap battery life compared to the majority of other brands. I suggest you sort out your charge and discharge cycle and stop posting hate threads which are completely pointless.
Donno, the battery life on my 08 mbp is pretty much identical to the battery life on my 08 T61p (WITH the extended life battery).

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

My early '08 MacBook Pro does about 4 hours on a full charge. That's pretty decent in my experience for a notebook of this class.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

People who feel Mac Notebooks have bad battery life compared to all the PC Notebooks out there should read Anandtechs test on Notebook battery life. Makes the PC Notebooks look pretty bad.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

My MB has fantastic battery life. I cab get between 4 and 5 hours depending on what I am doing.

Are you experiencing problems?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac checkup? | cd drive causes os to fail »