New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hard Drive Speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

I am interested in upgrading my iBook's 30 GB 4200 RPM ATA Hard Drive. According to Apple's relatively vague iBook User Guide, I can upgrade it to 60 GB. However, will it be 4200 RPM or 5400 RPM?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
titan0111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
I am interested in upgrading my iBook's 30 GB 4200 RPM ATA Hard Drive. According to Apple's relatively vague iBook User Guide, I can upgrade it to 60 GB. However, will it be 4200 RPM or 5400 RPM?

Thanks!
you can put any 2.5" HDDs
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks

Thanks!
You can get your choice of 4200, 5400, and now 7200 rpm in a 60gb. You can also get a 80gb in 4200 or 5400rpm or a 100gb in 5400rpm.

ed724
QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

If you get it from Apple, it will be one of the slower ones and cost way more than if you buy it from somewhere else.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I think the Hitachi Travelstar 60GB 2.5 inch 7200 rpm is the fastest one around at the moment at that size. Their are also 100GB drives but at 4200 rpm speed. If you put in a faster drive then it will speed up your system.
QUOTE Thanks
bhanson

How much hotter do they get? Do you think a faster drive would significantly reduce the rest of the system's lifespan?
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Hard drives don't really heat up. Or atleast mine doesn't. The CPU gives off the heat. And it would increase the lifespan, instead of wanting a new computer because of OS X being laggy.
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
Hard drives don't really heat up. Or atleast mine doesn't. The CPU gives off the heat. And it would increase the lifespan, instead of wanting a new computer because of OS X being laggy.
The hard drive does get hot when it's used alot. The new 100gb 2.5in drives on the market are 5400rpm. Seagate and Hitachi each have one, there may be others. The Hitachi uses less power than the 80gb 5400 they came out with last year, and the 80gb was close to what the Apple supplied 40gb drive was using. Plus it has it's own built smarts about when to power down to conserve battery power even more.

ed724
QUOTE Thanks
Mr.Guvernment

the new 7200 RPM drives give off NO more heat then current 4200 RPM drives it has been shown AS WELL use no more power.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrading superdrive? | Dropped my Powerbook »