New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

12" powerbook heat !help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Akira

I've heard about the powerboook reaching about 120 degrees. I wanted to know if anyone has ever used a cooling pad with there powerbook and how well it preformed? or the best one on the market? Also the name of the cooling pad or where you got it from?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

i dont know where you have heard that information. I use a 15" powerbook and have not had a single problem with heat on it and have never even thought of using a cooling pad. just as long as you keep all the vents clear heat is not a problem. i dont know how many people on the boards use a 12" powerbook but i am sure there are a few but i think the stats that you got there are a little bogus
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

That's interesting. I obviously don't mean this as an attack on the PowerBooks, but I too was under the assumption that they ran rather hot, and I remember hearing owners comment on how it was occasionally uncomfortable on their laps because of the heat. I know my iBook gets somewhat warm, so I only assume that the G4 machines run hotter than that.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

i have used mine on my lap for about 4 hours once and you do notice its heat but its nothing thats going to make you go "thats it i cant keep this on my lap anymore"
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

I got a 15in Powerbook and yes, it gets hot afterawhile, but not that bad. It will be great when winter sets in around here

Stealth
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I have a 15" powerbook and it definitely gets hot.. I have a lap desk and even if your laptop does not get hot.. i would recommend using a lap desk.. There have been studies, like the studies done for mobile phones and cancer.. same thing with laptops.. better safe then sorry is my opinion.. plus it does get pretty hot for sitting in my lap
QUOTE Thanks
guydm

I installed "Temperature Monitor" version 1.31 in my first-generation 12" Powerbook (867MgHz, 640 RAM, Superdrive).

Current temp: 127.9 Fahrenheit
Average seems to be about 120-130 for normal office type apps.
Video and graphics push it easily into the 140s
Record was very close to 150 using the Fluid Effects Screensaver.

This machine is nearly unusable, IMO. It will soon be replaced with a new 15" as I have to hold out hope that Apple has addressed the heat issue with it's newer models.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

i have not measured the temperature of my powerbook. I know it does get very hot. As for not usable, I just don't place in my lap without pants on.
QUOTE Thanks
logos

I'm just about to get one of the new range of g4 laptops, the low-end 12" combo. Has anyone bought this model? Is it ok on heat? An improvement of the older G4s pbs?
QUOTE Thanks
Visibility

I've had the 12" G4 for almost a year now. The heat issue became apparent soon after I bought it. So, I bought a podium pad to allow curculation underneath when I am working in my lap. While this protects my lap, it does not protect my wrists. The surface on which I rest my hands and wrists gets very warm after about an hour of use.

I have contacted Apple several times a have gotten the run-around about this. The techs seem rather surprised that I am having this problem, although the message boards seem to support my assessment. It seems that Apple is coaching their techs to play dumb to the issue. This is behavior that I did not expect from Apple and am sorely disappointed in my decision to go back to the Mac after using PCs for the past several years.

Apple should own-up to the problem and either come-up with a solution, or do something else to keep it's loyal following. This is a serious design flaw in the G4 12" that should have delayed its release until a solution was found.

Now Apple's evasive tactics resemble those of MS.

DO NOT BUY THE 12" G4 if you plan to use it for over an hour at a time without a seperate keyboard. If you must consider Apple, get the 15", from what I hear it is much better at disippationg heat. I'm now typing on neoprene pads that I cut from an old mouse pad and my wrists are still hot.
QUOTE Thanks
vicreoy

Oh man. I have a 12" powerbook and yea it does get warm, but not HOT! Think about how warm a normal desktop monitor gets when it is being used. Then think about how small these machines are and how much they do. I really don't think it is that big of a deal at all.

Peace,
Steve
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by logos
I'm just about to get one of the new range of g4 laptops, the low-end 12" combo. Has anyone bought this model? Is it ok on heat? An improvement of the older G4s pbs?
My dad has that same model. It does get warm, but not hot at all unless he is doing major major video editing on it. Even then it doesn't get to the point where it is uncomfortable to use.
QUOTE Thanks
sugarkane

welll they dso get hot mine pulls up to 60 degrees C some times but it an't a problem, you got to remember they are pretty powerful for the size and a fast computer turns out a far bit o heat!!!
the thing is cause they have a metal case the dissapate the heat better than a plastic case so the fact the out side is hot is cause it's getting rid of the heat better!!!
i find the thing gets hotter with the power suppy in and when i use the double burning speed with my X101 firmware superdrive!!!
but it an't a prob and the nu battery software has dropped the temp by 5 degrees C casue it fires up the fan sooner

it's winter any ways in the usa so stop been *****'s ( i like my lap warmer in winter )

sk
QUOTE Thanks
HeavyMetalG0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visibility
I've had the 12" G4 for almost a year now. The heat issue became apparent soon after I bought it. So, I bought a podium pad to allow curculation underneath when I am working in my lap. While this protects my lap, it does not protect my wrists. The surface on which I rest my hands and wrists gets very warm after about an hour of use.

I have contacted Apple several times a have gotten the run-around about this. The techs seem rather surprised that I am having this problem, although the message boards seem to support my assessment. It seems that Apple is coaching their techs to play dumb to the issue. This is behavior that I did not expect from Apple and am sorely disappointed in my decision to go back to the Mac after using PCs for the past several years.

Apple should own-up to the problem and either come-up with a solution, or do something else to keep it's loyal following. This is a serious design flaw in the G4 12" that should have delayed its release until a solution was found.

Now Apple's evasive tactics resemble those of MS.

DO NOT BUY THE 12" G4 if you plan to use it for over an hour at a time without a seperate keyboard. If you must consider Apple, get the 15", from what I hear it is much better at disippationg heat. I'm now typing on neoprene pads that I cut from an old mouse pad and my wrists are still hot.

stop whining. it doesnt get that hot.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Have a look at:

http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2...13112053.shtml

It may be that all you need to do to avoid the heat problem is to calibrate your battery by discharging it until your laptop shuts down, and then recharging it fully.

* Co-Author of:
The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
* Webmaster of:
Common OS X Jaguar Problems and Solutions
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« printer sharing | VIrus' »