New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Running Playstation 2 games on my laptop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ceiling_fan

ceiling_fan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 17" 1.67 GHz 1.5 GB RAM 100GB 60GB 5G iPod

Is there a way to connect a PS2 to my Powerbook G4? Do I need a fast processor? Is a there a program I need to be able to run it? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I have heard of Playstation 2 emulators for OS X, but I'm pretty sure that they're not going to give you the best experience of playing on a real Playstation 2, especially because your PowerBook screen is smaller than a television.
QUOTE Thanks
skyoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbanana314
I have heard of Playstation 2 emulators for OS X, but I'm pretty sure that they're not going to give you the best experience of playing on a real Playstation 2, especially because your PowerBook screen is smaller than a television.
Here's a link to an early beta of a PCSX port to OS X:

http://pcsx.gpost.dk/about.php

User reviews can be found here:

http://mac-psx.hansr.net/

Not sure how it works with ps2 games but ps1 titles work fairly well. On my new PB video and audio sometimes are out of sync. My old PM9600/G4-800(Sonnet) doesn't echibit such problems (maybe because it's slower?).
QUOTE Thanks
ceiling_fan

Thank you so much skyoboy! But I was wondering if there was any way to connect the PS2 to the computer and run it off of there. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You could try getting something like this http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...ea145f7dcde64a

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ceiling_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
You could try getting something like this http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...ea145f7dcde64a

Would that work? It doesn't mention anything about connecting video game systems to it though. Has anybody done this before?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Highlights:
125-channel cable-ready analog TV tuner Watch high-quality live TV via uncompressed signals USB 2.0 interface, for high-speed data transfer Gaming enthusiasts rejoice! Because of the marginal latency during live playback, you can hook up your gaming console to your Mac and enjoy smooth playback

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ceiling_fan

YES! Thank you so much trpnmonkey41!
QUOTE Thanks
ceiling_fan

Reviving...

Has anybody here done this with their mac? I know you can do it on a pc, but does the OS make any difference? Also, how much latency is "marginal?"
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

ceiling, same Q here. I put in a request with the wife for an elgato eyeTV as a birthday gift next week.

But I wonder about an emulator... and if a PS2 (or at least analog usb controller) would work with it.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

I did a search and found this thread, instead of creating a new thread. Then I saw the date, 11-05, and though "oh cool, it's recent". I just realized it was 2005 =(
QUOTE Thanks
Flip2gig

Flip2gig is on a distinguished road

glulio - I was wondering about the eyeTV too brother... Everytime someone asks about hooking up this or that game system to their computer, eyeTV always gets mentioned.

But NO-ONE ever gives a review about it, will someone just tell us from experience if eyeTV can but used to play my game system on my computer???

As far as emulators go, Snex9x works like magic, I have two 10 dollar usb pads from compUSA and about 300 roms, everyone always wants to rekindle the oldschool days on the powerbook when they come over. I've tried a N64 emulator for goldenyeye and it dogged out, I imagine anything over a supernintendo (psx, ps2, dreamcast...) will run horrible too.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

They say an emulator must be 5x as powerful as the original platform to play in real time. The PS2 came out a long time ago, I wonder if the C2Ds can pull it off. I know of a PS2 emulator for PC:
http://www.pcsx2.net/
It must run just fine in Bootcamp, but I wonder how so under Parallels or VMware.

I could put a 13"tv on my desk... but I'd rather just use my iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« processor upgrade? | VGA Problems »