New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

carrying case for 15" powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lorddraco98

I'm looking for suggestions on carrying options for a new 15" powerbook that I'll be getting soon. I'd like a messenger bag or something similar (not a backpack) and then whatever else you guys would reccomend.

we use the cheap targus laptop bags at work to hold the iBooks in and I really don't like them.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

This is like the upteenth time I've said this, but I still say:

Don't get a laptop bag/case. It's asking to have your PowerBook stolen. It may not be so important in a professional work environment, but when I take it to do work (fixing people's PCs) downtown, a big Samsonite laptop bag just screams "mug me, please."

I put my PowerBook in a pillowcase, (I'm thinking of getting a Marware Sleeve) then in a backpack - and everyone assumes that I just have worthless term papers and failed tests in there.
QUOTE Thanks
IChing

Powerbook Case...

ongoing thread with pictures
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbanana314
This is like the upteenth time I've said this, but I still say:

Don't get a laptop bag/case. It's asking to have your PowerBook stolen. It may not be so important in a professional work environment, but when I take it to do work (fixing people's PCs) downtown, a big Samsonite laptop bag just screams "mug me, please."

I put my PowerBook in a pillowcase, (I'm thinking of getting a Marware Sleeve) then in a backpack - and everyone assumes that I just have worthless term papers and failed tests in there.

while your pillowcase in-a-backpack idea might help save you from a mugging, its sure not doing anything to prolong the life if your mac.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan
while your pillowcase in-a-backpack idea might help save you from a mugging, its sure not doing anything to prolong the life if your mac.
I don't keep my soda in the same backpack, if that's what you're thinking. Apple notebooks are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for, including Mac enthuisasts. My PowerBook is perfectly fine in my backpack - I don't have to coddle it and put it in a $300 case. The pillowcase keeps debris from getting into the ports on the side and under the lid - and the backpack saves me from back problems that I would have if using a shoulder bag (I do carry a lot of paperwork and notebooks with me, so my backpack is heaver than the 4.6lbs that the PowerBook takes up.)
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

I use a $40 Swiss Army CS2 sleeve to protect my laptops, not a $300 case-don't be so extreme. Encouraging people to protect a $2000 investment in a pillowcase is simply absurd.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I use a Timbuktu messenger bag for mine. Nobody has a clue that it's a laptop bag, and it does a great job carrying all of my books and various laptop peripherals. While the pillow case idea is cute, it's completely out of the question for my 15" Powerbook. Mine has taken a fall inside the bag, and the padded bag saved its life. It would have been dead had it been in a backpack.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
lorddraco98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
I use a Timbuktu messenger bag for mine. Nobody has a clue that it's a laptop bag, and it does a great job carrying all of my books and various laptop peripherals. While the pillow case idea is cute, it's completely out of the question for my 15" Powerbook. Mine has taken a fall inside the bag, and the padded bag saved its life. It would have been dead had it been in a backpack.
do you have a link to their website? I searched around and can't seem to find it anywhere
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

i bought a laptop backback from spire. I think their site is http://www.spireusa.com their products are a little pricy (i paid 160 for my pack), but the protection is 2nd to none. definately give them a look.
QUOTE Thanks
Aznboi

Aznboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.4Ghz, 4GB ram, 160Gig hd, superdrive

i just purchased a sleve for my powerbook.. i got it at my local Compusa store.. i haven't had time to see how it holds but it seemed like a good deal.. it was $25...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ice Creame alternatives? | Tiger on my iBook - When it comes out... »