New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook 17'' fault?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Redbull

Two days ago, I received my brand new Apple 1.67 Powerbook 17'' from Apple UK. Today, I was strolling around and deleted some unncessary files. During my time using it, all of a sudden my whole machine completely freezed. I re-booted it by holding down the start up button for more than 5 seconds. When I finally got the machine up and going again, my whole keyboard was completely disabled/broken (none of the buttons work anymore), some of the features have gone too, some functions won't operate and it won't shut down properly either?. I've done nothing wrong!. I've just spend 2000+ and I'm gobsmacked!.

I don't know what to do? - could it be a manufactured fault? I've only had it for two days!. Will it be replace under warrenty, repaired or am I screwed?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull
Two days ago, I received my brand new Apple 1.67 Powerbook 17'' from Apple UK. Today, I was strolling around and deleted some unncessary files.

How do you know that the files you deleted were unneccesary? Were they system files? You can just restore with the disks that shipped with it, no?
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan
How do you know that the files you deleted were unneccesary? Were they system files? You can just restore with the disks that shipped with it, no?
Possibly. So you mean re-install the Mac OS disk that came with it so I receive my system files back and hopefully with a keyboard working?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

Redbull that is exactly what he means. I think that you may have deleted a system file.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Yes, it's all fix now. Just a re-install that did the job. But I have one slight problem, I downloaded Window Media player by mistake and for some unfathomable reason, I can't delete it from my trash can?

''The operation cannot be completed the item ''wmphelp.htm'' is locked''

Anybody know how to remove it or unlock it?. It is getting very annoying now.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
BONE

Quote:
Yes, it's all fix now. Just a re-install that did the job. But I have one slight problem, I downloaded Window Media player by mistake and for some unfathomable reason, I can't delete it from my trash can?

''The operation cannot be completed the item ''wmphelp.htm'' is locked''

Anybody know how to remove it or unlock it?. It is getting very annoying now.

Thanks
if you drag it out of the trash and do an command I on it to get info down the bottom of the window that comes up you can unlock the file, unlock it and try deleting it again
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONE
if you drag it out of the trash and do an command I on it to get info down the bottom of the window that comes up you can unlock the file, unlock it and try deleting it again
Sorry, I'm new to Mac. How do I do a command on it?. Where's the command located?. I may sound a bit of a twit here but hey I'm learning...
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

do this instead:

click your desktop, then in the menu at the top, goto Finder > Secure Empty Trash

i've heard this works
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Sorry, I'm new to Mac. How do I do a command on it?. Where's the command located?. I may sound a bit of a twit here but hey I'm learning...
The "command" button is the little button on the keyboard with an Apple symbol on it. Use it like you would the ALT or CTRL button.

Hold it down while pressing the 'I' button and release it to get info on the file.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbanana314
The "command" button is the little button on the keyboard with an Apple symbol on it. Use it like you would the ALT or CTRL button.

Hold it down while pressing the 'I' button and release it to get info on the file.
I've learned a lot here. Yes, I've manage to remove some internal Media player files but, however, the main one still remains. After unlocking it with command under my name (owner) then using a secure empty trash still contains error 'htm is in use'. What the?. It takes up 4mb of space so to be honest, I'll have to hide it in the hardrive and just ignore it. Unless, someone could come up with another alternative?. Sorry to be a bit of a pain.

Thanks very much for you help guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive gone crazy | powerbook in sleep »