New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Internet question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gweedodogg69

I'm new to my Mac PowerbookG4. It doesn't have an ethernet port, but it has a wireless card built in. How can I use a pcmcia card in the laptop for ethernet since my home does not have wireless?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

What do you mean it doesn't have ethernet? Ethernet has been standard since the PowerBook G3s!
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

Just purchase a pcmcia card that has an ethernet port in it. You can easily find one on Amazon.com or any computer website (search "pcmcia ethernet"). Or since you have a wireless card, go ahead and purchase a wireless router to put into your house that way you can go anywhere with your pb. They will be about the same price range.
QUOTE Thanks
gweedodogg69

I have pcmcia card, how do I enable it in the Mac though? I plug it in, it shows up on the top but it still looks for an internet connection through the wireless connection. I already have a homenetwork, im not gonna upgrade to wireless until it is ALOT faster.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweedodogg69
I have pcmcia card, how do I enable it in the Mac though? I plug it in, it shows up on the top but it still looks for an internet connection through the wireless connection. I already have a homenetwork, im not gonna upgrade to wireless until it is ALOT faster.
System Preferences, Network. Disable Wireless, and enable PCMCIA Ethernet w/ DHCP (provided you are using it.) Now, can you also clarify why your PowerBook doesn't have Ethernet though it's been standard for years?
QUOTE Thanks
gweedodogg69

I have no clue, unless it is under some hidden panel because I know how sleek Apple wants their PCs and stuff to be.

I think I went under System Pref, Network and only saw 3 things. Airport, Internal Modem, and Internal Ethernet. I have no clue where the jack(s) could be.
QUOTE Thanks
gweedodogg69

I'm in the network window and don't see the pcmcia card showing up and i disabled the airport from the top bar.
QUOTE Thanks
gweedodogg69

ooooook, i feel STUPID. Thanks for your help though. In the back, there IS a panel. Open that panel it reveals ports. One of those ports is ethernet port...I feel silly :p
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Did you really think that Apple wouldn't include Ethernet on a new-ish PowerBook?
:mac:

I know everyone thought Apple was insane when they discontinued floppy drives, but c'mon!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Preorder tiger for my iBook? | This Question is for MAC and WINDOWS users.... »