What are the most important upgrades for ordering?
    I'm getting ready to order both a mac book for my wife and a mac pro for myself. Are the upgrades on the mac website more a personal choice or are any of them essential? If so, which ones are important?

Specs:
    MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Best option is to upgrade the RAM if you plan to do a lot with your MB / MBP at once and look at investing in a 7200rpm HD as it will speed up your MB / MBP like nobody's business. However, it's usually cheaper to buy the items 3rd party (crucial for memory) and then install them yourself as it's easy in the latest MB / MBP's.
    I wouldn't bother upgrading the processor unless it's 2.4Ghz to 2.8Ghz and you really need the extra. 2.4Ghz to 2.53Ghz will only make a difference if you are pushing the MBP to the limit. 2.1Ghz to 2.4Ghz for the MB is pointless unless you want the illuminated keyboard.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Quote Originally Posted by johnstac View Post
    I'm getting ready to order both a mac book for my wife and a mac pro for myself. Are the upgrades on the mac website more a personal choice or are any of them essential? If so, which ones are important?
    MacBook, none. You can replace the hard drive and add memory yourself at a lower cost than what Apple would charge you.

MacBook Pro, the only upgrade I would recommend is to upgrade the graphics processor to the best you can afford. Hard drive and memory, again are items you can do yourself.

Just my opinion.

Regards.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I'm getting ready to order both a mac book for my wife and a mac pro for myself.
    You're getting a Mac Pro and she is getting a MacBook? Seems kind of unfair...

RAM is always a good target for upgrades but do it after you get it. Apple charges too much to add RAM for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    You're getting a Mac Pro and she is getting a MacBook? Seems kind of unfair...

RAM is always a good target for upgrades but do it after you get it. Apple charges too much to add RAM for you.
    Hey....shhhhhh...

Specs:
    MacBook
    Are the upgrades on the mac website more a personal choice?
    Yes.

It all depends on your personal needs and desires when it comes to any upgrades on a computer.

Everyone will have a different definition of what is "essential" or not.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information