New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery life on a 12" PB ... NEW

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jbsengineer

What is everyone getting for battery life on the 12" 1.5ghz powerbook off the new line? I seem to get like half of what i got with my 1.33ghz. Just doing basically nothing... Just wondering what everyone else is getting??

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I'm getting 4+ hours on mine with the screen dimmed and the energy saver on.

I think the battery is being drained on the new PBs more because of the faster processor and graphics card demanding more power than the older ones. Something to think about.
QUOTE Thanks
jbsengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbanana314
I'm getting 4+ hours on mine with the screen dimmed and the energy saver on.

I think the battery is being drained on the new PBs more because of the faster processor and graphics card demanding more power than the older ones. Something to think about.
i'm getting more like 2.5 hours MAX with the screen dimmed and ES on....

hm..... i wondor what's up with that....

anyone else?

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

I don't think its you, check this out: http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_15_inc...0543941-6.html

all the reviews that I've read seem to confirm that the 4.5 hour battery life is a bit exaggerated. Below, a comparison of older models.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Apple_i...1200896-6.html
QUOTE Thanks
rochy81

hmm.. thats strange.
My brothers new 1.5ghz 12 inch runs for 4+ hours with monitor on at full.
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

I had mine on for 3 hours yesterday (first full day with it) with full brightness while editing photos, as well as about 6 hours in sleep mode in between. Had about 10-15% battery left after all that.
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Make sure your wireless is turned off when not in use and your bluetooth as well. That is a dramatic way to save the battery some. Other than that let it sleep often and also close it when ya can.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

My 12" lasts around 4 hours with full screen brightness. If I use the wireless a lot, then maybe 3 to 3.5 hours. My 15" 1.5 GHz Powerbook lasts around 3 hours on full brightness.

2.5 hours means there's something very wrong, unless your wireless is always on, your hard drive is set to never spin down, and your bluetooth is running 24/7.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
()verBored

Cnet's review is for watching a DVD, which is a pretty power hungry test (video/cd spinning/sound output), so it getting 2.5 hours isn't too bad. They also didn't specify what energy saver features they enabled, if any (like reduced processor speed)! Def not amazing battery life though regardless. I just bought a used PB, and battery life is pretty dissapointing, about 2:20 total for just general web surfing! I ran a battery diag from the terminal, and found my mAh rating for the battery is pretty reduced (~3000), so I probably just need a new battery. I am curious if anyone here as experience with generic batteries that claim to have a higher mAh rating? For example, PowerMax sells:

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/g....cgi?p=a-52096

I've bought generic batteries for other gadgets, and my experience has been hit or miss . Some of them have actually lasted longer than an original, while others, (even rated with higher specs) have lasted less.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

I've manage to get 3.10 hours out of my 1.67ghz 17'' PB, the moniter on the whole time with wireless and bluetooth permanently on. (energy saver set on almost maximum).
QUOTE Thanks
jbsengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer
What is everyone getting for battery life on the 12" 1.5ghz powerbook off the new line? I seem to get like half of what i got with my 1.33ghz. Just doing basically nothing... Just wondering what everyone else is getting??

Josh
I think i may have figured out why i got such terrible battery life. classic envirement was running. seems to suck the heck out of the battery... interesting.

Josh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transfering music. | Internal Bluetooth Question »