New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Question about battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cid

Hi, I just purchased my first Ibook and I have seen that the battery last about 4 hours or 3:30. Is that normal?? I read in the forums that the battery of other people last about 5 hours with the wireless card turned on, listening to music and woriking is some MS word document. How do you get 5 hours of usage?? I barely get 4 hours if I only have the Msn open and surffing with Safari.

Also, today happened a weird thing. The indicator of my battery just stayed in 98% and it tells me that the batery is fully charged! So I used all the battery left and charged it again and it seems ok now, but the indicator stays in 99% is that ok?? because I havent seen a 100% in my ibook since I bought it.

Plz I hope somebody can help me, and sorry for my english! I hope you can understand me ok.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

You have to set things up in the energy saver preferences in the system prefs.

You can set the computer to use less energy.

Also, dim the screen to about 1/3rd to 1/2 normal. That got me 4 hours of battery life tonight.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

You are probably using it on full brightness right? I normally have it on just 4 bars (half brightness at most) and even with Airport Wireless on and several things running (excluding games), I get around 4 and a half to 5 hours. It felt so good the other day when I took my iBook to uni and mine was the only one out of the other laptops present at the end of the 3-hour lecture still on!
QUOTE Thanks
cid

thanks for your answers! yeah I tried today and the battery last about 4:30 and I have 18% left , and I also read in another post that the battery charged at 98% its ok its nothing to worry about.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid
thanks for your answers! yeah I tried today and the battery last about 4:30 and I have 18% left , and I also read in another post that the battery charged at 98% its ok its nothing to worry about.
Yea, no need to worry about that 98/99% charged thing. 100% is pretty rare. In fact, I don't think I have ever got 100%. However, it does usually change depending on what you are doing. For example, when you're in the dark at night, you may decide to just lower the brightness to less than 25% (which is still easy to view) and the battery will re-adjust itself.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yet another iBook Power up problem post!!! | switcher awwaiting ibook »