New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help a mac girl out with an ibook problem - please!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Supervelma

I need some help - it's my birthday and I got an ipod shuffle and an airport base and airport extreme card for my G3 ibook - The software was fine for the ipod, and the software for the airport extreme installed fine, but then the screen blacked out on me and won't do ANYTHING - I've tried the "take the battery out, reset it and then put it back in and turn it on" and that won't work. I can't restart it from the system disks because I bought it refurbished on eBay and it didn't come with them. When I try to start it up, I get nothing, no chime, no hard disk noises, but when you push the caps lock button, that light goes on.

Now, after researching, I know that the airport extreme isn't the card for my G3 (note to self - make sure one I know purchases anything Mac from any Fry's Electronics) - is it possible that installing the software for it knocked out my laptop?

Please help me out, I'm lost without my little white pal! Thanks for any help you can offer!
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervelma
I need some help - it's my birthday and I got an ipod shuffle and an airport base and airport extreme card for my G3 ibook - The software was fine for the ipod, and the software for the airport extreme installed fine, but then the screen blacked out on me and won't do ANYTHING - I've tried the "take the battery out, reset it and then put it back in and turn it on" and that won't work. I can't restart it from the system disks because I bought it refurbished on eBay and it didn't come with them. When I try to start it up, I get nothing, no chime, no hard disk noises, but when you push the caps lock button, that light goes on.

Now, after researching, I know that the airport extreme isn't the card for my G3 (note to self - make sure one I know purchases anything Mac from any Fry's Electronics) - is it possible that installing the software for it knocked out my laptop?

Please help me out, I'm lost without my little white pal! Thanks for any help you can offer!
Try the reset parameter ram key sequence when starting.

ed724
QUOTE Thanks
Supervelma

Thanks for the suggestion - I just tried that and I get nothing - it doesn't even give me the chime or anything - any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

Ouch is it just the software you installed or did you plug the airport card in? Because if you get NO activity when you push the power button it sounds like a hardware problem
QUOTE Thanks
Supervelma

Meh - I installed the software and was trying to install the card - but it was the wrong card for my computer - and then... nothing - could the crash be related to the wrong software, or is it just my luck that the crash happened?
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

Well if you inserted the card then it might of coursed a short which unless you get VERY lucky are fatal but I have been wrong before ... I've never heard of software stopping a computer from booting before though
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-funct
Well if you inserted the card then it might of coursed a short which unless you get VERY lucky are fatal but I have been wrong before ... I've never heard of software stopping a computer from booting before though
It's physically impossible for an extreme card to fit in an old airport slot. The old airport cards are the same as the PCMCIA connectors. Female on the card and pins in the socket. The exteme card is cardedge.

Try the reset PMU sequence if you havn't already.

ed724
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

it happened on a moms g3 800 ibook, the screen went black looked like the computer is off, but if you look carefully you can see that the display is on but the backlight is not working

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

i left it off for a day and next day it was ok

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

Yeah, it sounds like it is already powered up. Try connecting it to an external monitor if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed724
It's physically impossible for an extreme card to fit in an old airport slot. The old airport cards are the same as the PCMCIA connectors. Female on the card and pins in the socket. The exteme card is cardedge.

Try the reset PMU sequence if you havn't already.

ed724
Ah right I did'nt know that I was just going by past windows laptop problems ... live and learn
QUOTE Thanks
Supervelma

Thanks for all the suggestions, the reset PMU thing didn't work, but hopefully if I leave it alone for a day it will come back to me - Keep your fingers crossed - otherwise, keep your fingers crossed that I can find a competent Mac doctor in Phoenix
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« seriously angered, SCRATCHES! | fan is always on new pbook 1.5 ghz »