Supervelma
    Unhappy Help a mac girl out with an ibook problem - please!
    I need some help - it's my birthday and I got an ipod shuffle and an airport base and airport extreme card for my G3 ibook - The software was fine for the ipod, and the software for the airport extreme installed fine, but then the screen blacked out on me and won't do ANYTHING - I've tried the "take the battery out, reset it and then put it back in and turn it on" and that won't work. I can't restart it from the system disks because I bought it refurbished on eBay and it didn't come with them. When I try to start it up, I get nothing, no chime, no hard disk noises, but when you push the caps lock button, that light goes on.

Now, after researching, I know that the airport extreme isn't the card for my G3 (note to self - make sure one I know purchases anything Mac from any Fry's Electronics) - is it possible that installing the software for it knocked out my laptop?

Please help me out, I'm lost without my little white pal! Thanks for any help you can offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Supervelma
    I need some help - it's my birthday and I got an ipod shuffle and an airport base and airport extreme card for my G3 ibook - The software was fine for the ipod, and the software for the airport extreme installed fine, but then the screen blacked out on me and won't do ANYTHING - I've tried the "take the battery out, reset it and then put it back in and turn it on" and that won't work. I can't restart it from the system disks because I bought it refurbished on eBay and it didn't come with them. When I try to start it up, I get nothing, no chime, no hard disk noises, but when you push the caps lock button, that light goes on.

Now, after researching, I know that the airport extreme isn't the card for my G3 (note to self - make sure one I know purchases anything Mac from any Fry's Electronics) - is it possible that installing the software for it knocked out my laptop?

Please help me out, I'm lost without my little white pal! Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Try the reset parameter ram key sequence when starting.

ed724

Supervelma
    Thanks for the suggestion - I just tried that and I get nothing - it doesn't even give me the chime or anything - any other suggestions?

d-funct
    Ouch is it just the software you installed or did you plug the airport card in? Because if you get NO activity when you push the power button it sounds like a hardware problem

Supervelma
    Meh - I installed the software and was trying to install the card - but it was the wrong card for my computer - and then... nothing - could the crash be related to the wrong software, or is it just my luck that the crash happened?

d-funct
    Well if you inserted the card then it might of coursed a short which unless you get VERY lucky are fatal but I have been wrong before ... I've never heard of software stopping a computer from booting before though

Quote Originally Posted by d-funct
    Well if you inserted the card then it might of coursed a short which unless you get VERY lucky are fatal but I have been wrong before ... I've never heard of software stopping a computer from booting before though
    It's physically impossible for an extreme card to fit in an old airport slot. The old airport cards are the same as the PCMCIA connectors. Female on the card and pins in the socket. The exteme card is cardedge.

Try the reset PMU sequence if you havn't already.

ed724

Specs:
    MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
    it happened on a moms g3 800 ibook, the screen went black looked like the computer is off, but if you look carefully you can see that the display is on but the backlight is not working
    Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
    The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in

Specs:
    MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
    i left it off for a day and next day it was ok
    Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
    The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in

warrenbert
    Yeah, it sounds like it is already powered up. Try connecting it to an external monitor if possible.

d-funct
    Quote Originally Posted by ed724
    It's physically impossible for an extreme card to fit in an old airport slot. The old airport cards are the same as the PCMCIA connectors. Female on the card and pins in the socket. The exteme card is cardedge.

Try the reset PMU sequence if you havn't already.

ed724
    Ah right I did'nt know that I was just going by past windows laptop problems ... live and learn

Supervelma
    Thanks for all the suggestions, the reset PMU thing didn't work, but hopefully if I leave it alone for a day it will come back to me - Keep your fingers crossed - otherwise, keep your fingers crossed that I can find a competent Mac doctor in Phoenix

Thread Information