Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Supervelma
    Guest
    Unhappy Help a mac girl out with an ibook problem - please!
    I need some help - it's my birthday and I got an ipod shuffle and an airport base and airport extreme card for my G3 ibook - The software was fine for the ipod, and the software for the airport extreme installed fine, but then the screen blacked out on me and won't do ANYTHING - I've tried the "take the battery out, reset it and then put it back in and turn it on" and that won't work. I can't restart it from the system disks because I bought it refurbished on eBay and it didn't come with them. When I try to start it up, I get nothing, no chime, no hard disk noises, but when you push the caps lock button, that light goes on.

    Now, after researching, I know that the airport extreme isn't the card for my G3 (note to self - make sure one I know purchases anything Mac from any Fry's Electronics) - is it possible that installing the software for it knocked out my laptop?

    Please help me out, I'm lost without my little white pal! Thanks for any help you can offer!

  2. #2

    ed724's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 08, 2005
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Supervelma
    I need some help - it's my birthday and I got an ipod shuffle and an airport base and airport extreme card for my G3 ibook - The software was fine for the ipod, and the software for the airport extreme installed fine, but then the screen blacked out on me and won't do ANYTHING - I've tried the "take the battery out, reset it and then put it back in and turn it on" and that won't work. I can't restart it from the system disks because I bought it refurbished on eBay and it didn't come with them. When I try to start it up, I get nothing, no chime, no hard disk noises, but when you push the caps lock button, that light goes on.

    Now, after researching, I know that the airport extreme isn't the card for my G3 (note to self - make sure one I know purchases anything Mac from any Fry's Electronics) - is it possible that installing the software for it knocked out my laptop?

    Please help me out, I'm lost without my little white pal! Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Try the reset parameter ram key sequence when starting.

    ed724

  3. #3
    Supervelma
    Guest
    Thanks for the suggestion - I just tried that and I get nothing - it doesn't even give me the chime or anything - any other suggestions?

  4. #4
    d-funct
    Guest
    Ouch is it just the software you installed or did you plug the airport card in? Because if you get NO activity when you push the power button it sounds like a hardware problem

  5. #5
    Supervelma
    Guest
    Meh - I installed the software and was trying to install the card - but it was the wrong card for my computer - and then... nothing - could the crash be related to the wrong software, or is it just my luck that the crash happened?

  6. #6
    d-funct
    Guest
    Well if you inserted the card then it might of coursed a short which unless you get VERY lucky are fatal but I have been wrong before ... I've never heard of software stopping a computer from booting before though

  7. #7

    ed724's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 08, 2005
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by d-funct
    Well if you inserted the card then it might of coursed a short which unless you get VERY lucky are fatal but I have been wrong before ... I've never heard of software stopping a computer from booting before though
    It's physically impossible for an extreme card to fit in an old airport slot. The old airport cards are the same as the PCMCIA connectors. Female on the card and pins in the socket. The exteme card is cardedge.

    Try the reset PMU sequence if you havn't already.

    ed724

  8. #8

    the_New_guy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 08, 2004
    Location
    delhi.india
    Posts
    344
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
    it happened on a moms g3 800 ibook, the screen went black looked like the computer is off, but if you look carefully you can see that the display is on but the backlight is not working
    Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
    The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in

  9. #9

    the_New_guy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 08, 2004
    Location
    delhi.india
    Posts
    344
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
    i left it off for a day and next day it was ok
    Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
    The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in

  10. #10
    warrenbert
    Guest
    Yeah, it sounds like it is already powered up. Try connecting it to an external monitor if possible.

  11. #11
    d-funct
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ed724
    It's physically impossible for an extreme card to fit in an old airport slot. The old airport cards are the same as the PCMCIA connectors. Female on the card and pins in the socket. The exteme card is cardedge.

    Try the reset PMU sequence if you havn't already.

    ed724
    Ah right I did'nt know that I was just going by past windows laptop problems ... live and learn

  12. #12
    Supervelma
    Guest
    Thanks for all the suggestions, the reset PMU thing didn't work, but hopefully if I leave it alone for a day it will come back to me - Keep your fingers crossed - otherwise, keep your fingers crossed that I can find a competent Mac doctor in Phoenix

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New girl here...
    By krispy1121 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-23-2011, 12:55 AM
  2. My Mac leetness saved some girl's sister's wedding today
    By DarkestRitual in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 12:50 PM
  3. locked down my girl's mac
    By fegard in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 08:18 AM
  4. iBook G4 reinstalling Mac OS X problem
    By jmwilsonbu in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 11:16 PM
  5. Double ibook problem: Cant install OS X Tiger on iBook G3 Camshell!!
    By pahoran in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •