Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB, 10.6.4
    Screen display problems with flickering horizontal lines
    I've been having a problem with my screen for a few months now. When I open or close the display, or sometimes even just move it a little, gray, black and white lines flicker horizontally and randomly across the screen. Quite often the lines are fairly broad and sometimes are just faded strips of what was being displayed right before the flickering started.
    For the moment i can make it stop by shifting the screen again or wiggling it back and forth until the flickering stops.
    What is wrong with the display?
    And is there a more permanent fix I could try?
    "Donít let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
    - Pancho Villa (1877-1923), last words

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Sounds like the display cable may be loose or partially separated from its connector. It could also be something else related to the display assembly. If your MBP is still under warranty or Applecare, make an appointment with a genius and take it on in.

Regards.

Unhappy Same problem here...
    My display does the same thing with random vertical lines and discoloration as though there maybe a loose LCD cable inside as well as an array of other problems such as a flaky superdrive, keyboard jumping issues, and overheating issues...

I have the 2.2GHz Santarosa 15".

I will be taking it in to the Genius Bar tomorrow...

Specs:
    This problem started for me back in the end of June. In September I got a Speck hard shell case for it. I recently took the case off and left it off, and I've only seen the screen lines a couple different times now, and only when moving the screen to close it. Hopefully I won't have anymore problems with it.

Specs:
    17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
    Are you planning on bringing it in? If you are still under Applecare, I highly suggest that you do. This happened to my Powerbook after it was out of warranty/applecare and only got worse, along with scores of other people. Take care of it now while it's free.

Does it look like any of these?
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...17-screen.html

Specs:
    Macbook Unibody (Late 2008) 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.5.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippid07 View Post
    I've been having a problem with my screen for a few months now. When I open or close the display, or sometimes even just move it a little, gray, black and white lines flicker horizontally and randomly across the screen. Quite often the lines are fairly broad and sometimes are just faded strips of what was being displayed right before the flickering started.
    For the moment i can make it stop by shifting the screen again or wiggling it back and forth until the flickering stops.
    What is wrong with the display?
    And is there a more permanent fix I could try?
    Aghh!! I am having the same problem. What ended up being wrong with yours? How much did it cost to repair and how long did it take? Please help!

Specs:
    I took mine in to a Genius and he said the same as a couple people above, that it was probably a lose connection somewhere. The problem is that all Apple does is replace parts, so my only option was to replace to whole screen. I don't remember exactly, but it was somewhere around $300. If you have a unibody, the price could be a lot different, I don't know. I opted to just deal with the flickering. I dealt with it for almost 2 years, it got a little worse, but not much. In the end, I got a new MBP recently because my video card died. Pretty sure that wasn't in any way connected to the flickering though.
    Hope that helps.

I have that same problem! Sometimes if I resize the window it goes away...so make it really big then back small. Other times if I restart my computer it'll be new...but I know eventually it comes back : (

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertonight View Post
    I have that same problem! Sometimes if I resize the window it goes away...so make it really big then back small. Other times if I restart my computer it'll be new...but I know eventually it comes back : (
    I don't think you have the same problem. I have to physically move my laptop to make it stop. It looks like the pictures below, until I move the laptop:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by meowskers1 View Post
    I don't think you have the same problem. I have to physically move my laptop to make it stop. It looks like the pictures below, until I move the laptop:
    Ok first off, I am a laptop technician. Your problem looks to be a video card issue. Nvidia admitted to faulty video cards and i know for sure you have an Nvidia. Take it to an apple store and show them it if you can't duplicate it bring in the picture and show them.

As for everyone else, here is a a breakdown of screen issues.
    Vertical Lines - Bad LCD or LED Screen
    Dim Screen - Bad Inverter, Backlight, or (unlikely) Motherboard
    Garbage On Screen (symbols) - Bad Video Card
    Horizontal Lines - Bad LCD or LED Screen or Video Card
    White Screen - Video Cable not connected, but inverter cable is still connected
    Black Screen (No signal) - Video cable (Motherboard Side) not connected or (unlikely) both video and inverter cable not connected
    Partial Black Screen - Bad Screen or Video Card

Hope this information helps everyone.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyk123 View Post
    Ok first off, I am a laptop technician. Your problem looks to be a video card issue. Nvidia admitted to faulty video cards and i know for sure you have an Nvidia. Take it to an apple store and show them it if you can't duplicate it bring in the picture and show them.
    I don't think it's a video card issue because I have the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and it was the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT that had the problem. I believe it is just a loose cable like Rippid07 said, but I can't afford $300 to fix a loose cable by replacing the whole screen..

The picture below is what my screen looks like normally after I move it to get rid of the lines. (If you were wondering where the green lines came from, it's my background pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) 2.26 GHZ, 8GB RAM, 500 GB HDD
    I JUST had the same issue. My Macbook Pro just came back from Apple Support after two attempts to repair it. They nailed the issue, they replaced the display.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by iPad View Post
    I JUST had the same issue. My Macbook Pro just came back from Apple Support after two attempts to repair it. They nailed the issue, they replaced the display.
    How much did it cost?

i'm getting red blotches on my screen. i was told it was my inverter cable. it runs along left hinge. i was told two different stories, 1. need new logic board, 2. just have someone reattache inverter cable to existing logic board. not sure.

Here's a picture of my screen. Does this look like it could be a look video cable?

Thread Information